xp unbootable -hal.dll missing or corrupt-

Thread: xp unbootable -hal.dll missing or corrupt-

xp unbootable -hal.dll missing or corrupt-

Hi guys, i installed suse 10.0 on my box dual-booted with win xp , win2000.
    just a standard KDE system, boot loader grub default options. I resized hda1 and took 12 GB from it for /, didn't create swap, that's it. But the problem is that xp is no more bootable; i get a message saying: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\system32\hal.dll
    please reinstall a copy of the above file.

I did however backup that file, moved it to another location and downloaded a new one to the exact directory, and the problem persists, same error message.
    win2000 is still bootable but i want xp back.

--thanks
    The second step on the way to become a hacker is to run GNU/Linux. (first step is to buy a computer)
    My old skewl http://www.skoz.nl/spelevaert/

Hi,

Have you tried booting from the Windows XP CD and running the repair option from the installation prompt?

do the XP restore feature, not the first one where it says to press F2 but the one where you can either insall, or repair a current installed version of XP.

then try a FIXMBR .

cheers
    f2B

hi,
    sometime ago i was reading an article that would help repairing your system especially the error you specified. check the following link

http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=313
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

Well seems I'm a "Day late and a dollar short"....

mmkhan's is far more graphic and complete, however I'll post this anyway since I type it out

Sometimes there are a couple different causes for the infamous error codes popping up/making your XP unbootable.

The first obviously is the subject of the error message itself. You may have a damaged/corrupt hal.dll That we should be able to fix. (Just as a foot note: that may have also been caused by malware and not the install of a *nix.)

Anyway you want to replace the messed up file with one from your OEM XP CD.

To begin with: Set your computer to boot from CD, then boot from the XP CD. You should get “Press any key to boot from CD" . Do so.

Next you want to enter the Recovery Console. To do that, when the “Welcome to Setiup” is displayed, hit “R” for the Recovery Console. You should then be presented with a choice of which Window's OS you could fix. Make the correct choice.

Before your fingers get to typing on the command prompt, you'll need to know the drive letter of where the XP CD is currently located. In my example, it would be “f”, however your's might be “d” or “e” or whatever....Here's how I would replace the file.

At the Command Prompt type: expand f:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll
    (you may have to approve overwriting of the existing file, if asked do so)

Type: exit

Restart the computer normally (might have to change your boot options back).

***Now read-on before you get too excited.

Remember when I said there are a couple different causes for this error message, well by installing Grub as the boot loader you may have made some changes to other files. The Master Boot Record was mentioned earlier, however the file that relates to this error code is your “boot.ini” file. You might wonder why I didn't go that route first. Thought I'd show you how to replace a possibly damaged file from your OEM XP CD because we have do it for the boot.ini as well.

This particular file is obviously really important because is provides the path to the OS. Corrupt this file and as in this case XP can't boot. As with some other files, boot.ini is a system file that is normally invisible. Security by obscurity isn't, however it may not be a bad idea to hide keep critical files out of the eyes of tinkerers. Anyway...as before:

To begin with: Set your computer to boot from CD, then boot from the XP CD. You should get “Press any key to boot from CD" . Do so.

Next yo want to enter the Recovery Console. To do that, when the “Welcome to Setiup” is displayed, hit “R” for the Recovery Console. You should then be presented with a choice of which Window's OS you could fix. Make the correct choice.

At the Command Prompt type: bootcfg /list
    If the file is gonzo or corrupt you may receive a missing file message. Otherwise this should display your entries in BOOT.INI

Next you want to fix the problem so at the Command Prompt type: bootcfg /rebuild

Your HDDs will be scanned for installations of Windows. After the scan you should have a menu pop up. The instructions are very self-explanatory. (i.e. which versions of Windows were located and whether or not you want to add them to the “boot.ini”. Type “Y” to add them.) When you get to OS Load Options – type in: /fastdetect

Then press the Enter Key. Take the XP CD out of the tray and then type: exit.

Restart the computer normally (might have to change your boot options back).

Those previous steps will repair the damaged files in XP, however you may now have to do some tweaking with your *nix to create the multi-boot options in Grub. Let us know what happens...

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Thanks alot, with linux i just did a reconfiguring of grub and it's booting. I don't know why this happened, a had several past dual-boot installations and no such problems occurred...
    The second step on the way to become a hacker is to run GNU/Linux. (first step is to buy a computer)
    My old skewl http://www.skoz.nl/spelevaert/

HackerzMaster,

Sounds great. I'm on 10.0 right now and have 10.1 on the way.

If you get time, could you add the steps you took. That would pretty much finish this off thread and prep it for any folks that might suffer from the same thing in the future.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.