Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vista Ultimate Beta 2- first thoughts

Thanks for the checksums. I got it Friday night of torrent and was waiting to see some checksums.

Not to mention... In windows explorer, you don't have your classic menubar. No file, edit, view, etc. They moved everything around again... I HATE THAT! You can get it back though... organize, layouts, classic.
    That's IE 7 for you. I've had the beta for a while so I am used to it. Been having some issues with Active X on some sites but other than that it's ok. The site preview is nice.

My thought is that this is trying to emulate software that I have on my laptop that identifies which network I connect to.
    What software is that? I am in connection hell. All my networks are static and I constantly change settings.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I have a lenovo thinkpad t43 laptop. The connection software is called Thinkvantage access connection. It is IBM software made specifically for the thinkpad. It is pretty nice software. Gone are the days of constantly reconfiguring my proxy servers.

On vista I think they call it smart networking. I'm not near the machine that has it installed, but when I am I will get the exact name that MS is calling it and post it up...

The weird thing is that it stopped doing it. I also don't like some of the changes to the UI.

I've been using XP in classic mode for several years. I just switched to the XP UI when I got this laptop earlier this year. I'll probably use vista in it's native UI just to get familiar with it. It's not that different from the XP interface. I actually prefer the way the start menu works in Vista over XP.

There is also a lot of desktop configuration tweaks for multiple monitor support. You can tell certain applications to always open on a specific monitor, and the vista toolbar has some neat applications. But in my opinion it is trying to steal the wigget idea from OSX.

I just finished burning the DVD and the isntall screen popped on the desktop. Considering I need to ghost then partition a dual, in this case tri-boot I am resisting the urge.

Thanks for the info mo. Sounds like Vista incorporates some external software I use now. And was going to buy.

"must spread points around" I HATE that.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

Thumbs down Well isn't this PEACHY

I sent my "product code" to the printer Friday night while trying to get a MS download. I go to the printer today and the code didn't print. The page shows the MS license background but they did not print the code. I hold the thing up to a bright light... nothing.

So I go back and log in with my hotmail account. This is ONLY second time EVER and I NEVER got a good download from MS. And I get this...

Thank you for participating in the Microsoft Windows Vista Customer Preview Program.

You have received the maximum number of Product Keys available for this program.
    Note: Windows Vista Beta 2 can be installed and activated on up to 10 PCs using with one Product Key.

NO THANK YOU MS, I am going to jump on my little wire hamster wheel and run run run all around the internet trying to get a VALID code. YEAH, here I go.... squeaky squeaky squeaky
    West of House

Thumbs up

RoadClosed: They should have emailed it to you... they did for me. I also have printed two of them out. You can use one key to install on 10 machines, so I have used one install and have 19 left. Check your PM, I sent you a key you can use.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I used an old hotmail account to sign in when downloading. I went to check my mail for the key and I had to re-activate the account. I figure since the download took that credential everything would be fine. And why the hell would they NOT let you print the key certificate?

I bet they spent a million dollars on that code. But hello "prt scr". Why make it difficult this is beta test? But I'll give them the benefit. My email was inactive and I didn't get the Key. I should have written it down. But at the same time the key should be tied to that now active account. I looked for a little bit for a link to have the key re-mailed or something. Squeaky Squeaky.

I then decided to try my other hotmail account so I used those credentials. I got the same message that a key was already assigned. Huh? Then it is NOT tied to a specific account? I cleared my browser cache of every cookie... same thing. Squeaky Squeaky. Cleared entire history and all... squeaky squeaky

So I cleared everything again. Closed IE then created a NEW hotmail account on an email domain unknown to Passport. Same damn error, I already have my key. NO FREE WINDOWS! Even in BETA. Sqeaky Squeaky

So I ask WHY? What is on this PC that identifies me? Active x control, something. I haven't tried FireFox and the new Passport account yet.

Oh and thanks to everyone who have offered keys. kudos. I tried to spead some point for teamwork but it's not letting me.
    West of House

Hmm... not sure about your printing issue.
    I used IE7 to print the keys and they came out just fine for me...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Road- It sounds like your printer issue is moreso an issue with the colors that they used, and your printer. I had no problems printing the key, although I did make sure to print it in grayscale as I sometimes have issues where certain colors do not print properly, so I lose text when printing in color.

They were probably counting the number of registrations to your IP address. You did it each time from the same machine right??? Use a proxy anonymizer and see if it lets you. They are only giving out a limited number of licenses so it would make sense that they give them to different IPs. Relying on cookies or anything like that is what would not make sense to me.

Hmm. Ok I'll succomb to a printer issue and not some dastardly deed by MS. It's strange though it printed the whole page and even the background behind the key but NOT the key. I thought it may be an issue with contrast or something but I held it up to a super bright light. As for the inability to download another... once again I perhaps jumped to a conclusion AND it is my IP adress recorded. The most logical and unparanoid scenario. And not some hidden code.
    West of House

Hoopy Frood
    Have anyone got it working on Microsoft Virtual Server?

- Xierox
    "Personality is only ripe when a man has made the truth his own."

-- Søren Kierkegaard