Thread: Network Topology Issue

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar

Network Topology Issue

Ok, here's what I'm facing. I'm a little confused on how to go about setting up the DNS servers on the network. Basically, we have (2) 2003 Standard Servers R2 acting as the Domain Controllers for our network. One is the "primary" DC and the other is a replication partner. I have the primary acting as the Global Catalog, Schema Master, and Domain Naming Master. The other is the Infrastructure Master, RID, PDC. This is all fine so far.
    The "primary" DC is also the DHCP server (authorized) while the replication partner is not authorized to act as the DHCP server. Again, all fine so far.

Now, here's my confusion. Am I supposed to have each Domain Controller pointing to itself under TCP/IP properties as the primary & alternative DNS servers?
    Also, in the DHCP scope, should I have the two Domain Controller's IP addresses listed for the DNS Servers under Server Options?

I read a few articles that seemed to indicate that you should define your DNS Servers to your Domain Controllers (one was a microsoft article). Any help would be appreciated guys. thanks.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Now, here's my confusion. Am I supposed to have each Domain Controller pointing to itself under TCP/IP properties as the primary & alternative DNS servers?
    Also, in the DHCP scope, should I have the two Domain Controller's IP addresses listed for the DNS Servers under Server Options?
    Yes, list both servers in the DNS properties on the servers and Yes list them both in DHCP.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Tiger,
    Thanks again for the help. I just needed some confirmation on the issue. I have already set up the servers as pointed out in prior posts. The whole reason this came up was because we kept getting Event ID 1050's (Group Policy errors). When I went on MS's website, one of the suggestions they had was that the DNS servers were not setup properly. Hopefully this resolves the issue.
    I know there are still other potential reasons for the 1050 error but, we'll see. Thanks again.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton