Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This seems like a neat idea

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

This seems like a neat idea

Hi, I ran across something interesting recently. I will break down the basic concept for you. Two rich british guys have an island in Fiji they want 5000 people to come to that island and start a "community" everything is paid for housing,food etc... once you get there. the only things that arent covered is scuba diving,drinks etc... those personal expenses. Now from what I understand they are starting from scratch the first people on the island will start to build housing etc... Now what you do is pay the people 440 bucks and you get to stay on the island for a total of 28 days over 2 years ( 14 days each year) once your there you can do whatever you want. Now airfare isnt covered and that is the expensive part! but im interested in this! im thinking I will buy my membership now ( deadline is Sept. 1st) and go sometime next year when I have enough $$$$ and time and they have the housing etc already built because I really dont wanna spend my 14 days building me a place to sleep lol. what do yall think about this? Ideas? comments? I would welcome them.

www.tribewanted.com
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

I will admit I'm an overly cautious person, but after reading the site fairly thoroughly, several thoughts spring to mind.

There's no such thing as a free lunch.
    If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
    A fool and his money are soon parted.

It's got all the warning signs of a scam - it's in a foreign country where your rights of reimbursement are going to be limited, it's a "limited time offer!!!!!!!", there is no actual accomodation on the island - but that's okay? Everyone's allowed to just wait if they want to, but no one's going to be building anything to live in til people are there? You're basically paying for a timeshare property that has nothing on it, and the cost of getting there is fairly prohibitive.

I would keep my $440 in my pocket.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

SCAM.!
    The Texan you would be better of keeping that hard earned cash, as you would be burning that money away never to see it again.

There was a similar thing here in Aus, to rich business men, owned island similar details, it was a scam, there never was to rich aussies whom owned the island.
    Suckers whom payed there money never saw it again..

by your Girlfriend something nice, and take her out for the evening, dont be fooled by it.

cheers
    kris.!

That is the thing that bothers me... I would like to wait til some other people get there to see if this is a scam or not but the sept. 1st deadline prohibits me from doing so. I like the idea that you can go whenever you want but I dont like the idea that they force you to sign up by sept 1st. This has really got alot of publicity from all over the world and people from all over the world are signing up so I dont know if they could REALLY scam ALL those people out of their money. There is a disclaimer saying that if it doesnt happen they will refund your membership 100% but I dont know if you could get your airfare back?
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

buy your Girlfriend something nice, and take her out for the evening,
    yeh the results of 440$ spent on your GF will reap more satisfying and long term results than going feral on a Island..

What I read isnt what you have mentioned in your opening Post..well not 100%..

I started to read some of the forums, I gave up.. the scope of the whole project was beyond my interest level..

I would recommend reading through what is there, especially the disgrunteled comments, and replies to start on getting a balanced view of the show..

As for scamming people.. how long has the Nigerian scam been around? and people are still falling for it..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Originally posted here by The Texan
    That is the thing that bothers me... I would like to wait til some other people get there to see if this is a scam or not but the sept. 1st deadline prohibits me from doing so. I like the idea that you can go whenever you want but I dont like the idea that they force you to sign up by sept 1st. This has really got alot of publicity from all over the world and people from all over the world are signing up so I dont know if they could REALLY scam ALL those people out of their money. There is a disclaimer saying that if it doesnt happen they will refund your membership 100% but I dont know if you could get your airfare back?
    That's the point of the deadline, to make you feel you don't have the time to make a well-thought-out, logical decision. If it's a big deal, and a big hurry and you might miss out, people jump on it without thinking about it.

Most airlines don't refund money for anything other than a natural disaster or a death.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r

I would recommend reading through what is there, especially the disgrunteled comments, and replies to start on getting a balanced view of the show..
    No one has been to the island yet, the first people dont start going til sept. 1st or after 5000 people have signed up so as of yet no one is disgruntled yet lol. but i do see your point.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    No one has been to the island yet,
    SCAM

the first people dont start going til sept. 1st,
    SCAM

or after 5000 people have signed up ,
    SCAM

so who IS going to build if all you have to do is wait ??
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

By waiting I said I would wait to go until sometime next year. and by that time the people who went to the island before me would hopefully have things built out.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

This is very common. It's called a TIMESHARE.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.