Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prayers for Big Ben

Prayers for Big Ben

Big Ben was in a motorcycle accident, if you haven't heard. My thought and prayers go out to him and his family.

Football is secondary to his health, I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

May he retire his bike until he retires from football.

God bless Big Ben.

edit - Ben Roethlisberger is the quarterback for the world champion Pittsburgh Steelers (American Football)
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Sorry to sound ignorant, but who is Big Ben.?

<edit> Well i hope that he recovers from the accident, and is able to return to the field to play the sport that he's good at.. </edit>

Do you think maybe now he'll wear a stupid helmet?
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    You know Deb this time around I honestly agree with you. I mean how stupid can you be?! Ben Roethlisberger is a quarterback for the Steelers who won the Super Bowl, his career and how he makes his money depends on his body being in good shape. You would think he would make smart decisions to stop preventable accidents like this but no he had to go and be stupid and ride a motorcycle with no helmet. He took his life and his career at risk when he did that. But I do hope he makes it thru ok and that he is able to play football again.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Oh, I hope he recovers enough to be able to take care of himself at least - but with all the real tragedies in the world, I find it hard to work up a lot of sympathy for a guy who goes head first thru a car without a helmet because of a choice he made. It's not like it's a surprise that people on motorcycles need to wear helmets, or a surprise that serious head injuries occur without the use of a helmet. What is a surprise is that he's no more injured than he is.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Hi Korp~

I have just prayed for him, and I must admit that I have a lot of sympathy. I would be a total liar if I did not admit to having thought "I wish I hadn't done that" on many occasions.

It is a common failing to think "I'm just going up the road to the convenience store" and not put on your helmet or seatbelt. Actually it is these low speed accidents that the safety devices are designed for...........hey a head on at a combined speed of 140Mph isn't going to be helped much by a helmet or belt?

That guy would never go on the football field without his helmet and body armour?............ he just had a momentary lapse, as we all do? ............. most of us have been lucky, unfortunately Ben was not.

It was ill fortune I think...................99 times out of 100 he would have gotten away with it?

I will speak with Fr. Grant, and we will pray for him on Sunday

// off topic a bit

I am surprised, given that over here, major contactual assets would have clauses preventing them from hang-gliding, riding motorcycles and the like

Originally posted here by nihil
    // off topic a bit

I am surprised, given that over here, major contactual assets woul have clauses preventing them from hang-gliding, riding motorcycles and the like
    Actually, most NFL contracts have clauses that prevent "risk-taking" - but no specific identification of what actually constitutes risk-taking. There was pretty heavy coverage on the news tonight, including an interview asking Mr. Roethlisberger specifically about wearing a football helmet but not a motorcycle helmet - his answer what that "it's the law in football" that you have to wear a helmet. They also said that according to his specific contract, he could lose his signing bonus for this accident, but won't. Which is the problem with major league sports in the US (and probably the whole world, but I won't speak for that). If you've got a clause in your contract that says you're going to lose something if you break the rule, and then you break the rule and don't lose it - what the hell is the point? What kind of example is that?

In all honesty, the accident was low speed, he hit his head on a windshield and then a sidewalk, and has a knee injury, broken jaw, broken nose, and missing teeth. A full helmet would have more than likely prevented all of his facial injuries.

I should've counted on Deb using a thoughtful thread for her own tirade, it seems her thoughtlessness knows no bounds.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I am a Big Ben fan and hope the best for him. I have riden my motorcycle countless times without a helmet for various reasons. One of which is vain (it screws up your hair big time) other is in the summer it gets damn hot with a full mask on.

Either way I dont necessarily know that a helmet would have prevented any of the injuries he had. Based on the type of bike he rides I would say he wouldn't be wearing a full face mask anyway just the topper. From the sounds of his injuries I would guess he went face first into the windshield (which that type of helmet wouldnt have helped). I am in no way advocating you don't wear a helmet as I have seen some pretty nasty motorcyle accidents and I have seen some where a helmet has saved lives. But in this particular case I cant say that a helmet would have made much of a difference. Guess you would have to see footage of the crash.

Either way he is still young and healthy, I am pretty sure he should be fully healed by the time the season rolls around its just too bad it will mess with summer camp.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Banned
    I'd rather pray for regular people who were smart enough to wear a helmet and still got hurt, and who don't have millions of dollars to pay for their own silliness.

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/football...770997,00.html

Cowher:

"There are choices and consequences, there's a lot of scrutiny and, at times, some sacrifices every player has to make - not just in riding motorcycles, but going out and where you go out and who you associate with.

"You have control over them, but once you make your decision, they control you. The sacrifices they make, while they may seem a lot, they're well worth it."

Roethlisberger responded at the time that he would continue to ride his motorcycle sans helmet.

"It's a choice," he said. "I just get out there and relax, I don't try to take too many risks, I just go out and enjoy myself."
    Sucker.