Teen charged with threatening school official via MySpace Blog
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Teen charged with threatening school official via MySpace Blog

Webius Designerous Indiginous

Post Teen charged with threatening school official via MySpace Blog

Article Here

Apprently this teen was venting via his myspace blog, and now the school bored is charging him with a felony.

On top of that, check the following out:

"Starting next year, all students in extracurricular activities in Community High School District 128, which includes Libertyville and Vernon Hills high schools, must sign an agreement that evidence of “illegal or inappropriate” behavior posted on the Internet could be grounds for disciplinary action."

Isn't this going a little bit to far?

I think so.

"We can't control what you're doing at home. Oh, yes we can."
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

What ever happened to freedom of speech?

This is like the kid who got a 10 day suspension for saying that the school was infringing on his rights on xanga...
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/techno...,7235179.story

Where will it stop? Schools are getting more power hungry it seems, when it comes to controlling students.
    [H]ard|OCP <--Best hardware/gaming news out there--|
    pwned.nl <--Gamers will love this one --|
    Light a man a fire and you\'ll keep him warm for a day, Light a man ON fire and you\'ll keep him warm the rest of his life.

I believe IMO any type of threat should be taken seriously, the problem with this kid is he publicly put it out there, so damn straight I would hope the authorities take action, and wether it's print or electronic, a threat to life is a threat period...

These personal blogs/myspace et al are breeding grounds for misplaced talking, it's like the person walking through JFK and because he's in a pissy mood about traffic he mentions the word "bomb" half assed jokingly...duh.. guess what happens to this guy next if it's overheard...but he didn't mean it, may take hours to explain downtown...

So inappropriate language of a threatening nature should be investigated, young people have to understand that what they say on the net can be and will be used against them, same with text messaging or nasty threatening emails, it's a signature/proof.(not just young people either, all ages can be at fault).

Now the school board making students sign an agreement is maybe a bit much, as how is the school going to ensure impartiality when it comes time to charge someone in breach of this agreement, anybody can pose as someone on the net, so unless they suspend the entire school, can't really see that working...
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Free speech does not apply to illegal actions (such as making threats). If he threatened a school official, I think he should be liable to discipline at the school and from the police, etc. If the matter at questions involves the school, then they should have some recourse. But if this was a non-school related matter, then the school should not be involved (unless they fetl that he was a threat to other students or faculity).

Bottom line, if it involves the school and the safety of people there, then they have every right to be concerned and discipline him over what he puts on myspace or what he says at McDonald's for that matter.

I don't see the need to have students sign an agreement. Unless this is just for the purpose of warning them of the consequences if they break the law.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

I'd like to establish the line between freedom of speech and freedom of fear .... ?

Hi Trevoke,
    Could you elaborate on this a bit; I don't understand.

I'd like to establish the line between freedom of speech and freedom of fear .... ?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Freedom of speech implies that one can say absolutely everything that one wants.
    This means that I could yell "Fire" in a crowded theater, or other some such nonsense.
    There are of course some laws which limit this, in situations where freedom of speech has too much potential to harm people (like yelling "Fire" in a crowded theater).

Freedom of fear is something that I wrote to follow 'freedom of speech', which didn't quite work as well as I hoped it would. It's essentially letting fear run untamed and taking everything seriously.
    I can't count the amount of times I told friends I was going to kill them when I was younger, or my brother.
    Repressive action is ridiculous. Preventive action, alright.. Or healing action. Fix the problem. Have the youth talk with the person who was threatened -- But make it clear it's not a punishment.

Where do you draw the line? If you take everyone seriously, then a 1984 situation crops up.
    If you don't take anyone seriously, those who are serious will do some damage.

Ben Franklin said something pretty neat which adds some dimension to the whole thing (paraphrase) : "Those who are willing to trade freedom for security deserve neither."

So where do you draw the line? Where?

That's all well and good, but what if the person uttering the threats was not joking, and carries through with them..ah well his/her rights are protected but the people he/she just murdered well tough sh*t.

It is better to intervene and hopefully the kid was just kidding, and everyone walks away and forgets about it...hhhmmm what has anyone learned from that? it's okay to tell someone that you are going to kill them and when confronted, they say just kidding and all's well...BS who's to say after the dust has settled the switch in this kid's head goes off and well guess what, he wasn't kidding...people need to accept responsibility for their actions, if you know that what you are going to say or write is inherently wrong, then don't fecking say it..

Your right in that most of everything is taken way too seriously now, things we used to take for granted is being eroded due to political correctness, but it is the times, 20 or 30 yrs ago you could actually get away with saying something stupid at the airport like I want this plane to go to Hawaii, and everyone would laugh, slap ya on the back and carry on, or like you said, it was normal for brothers and sisters to try I mean say things like I'm going to kill you, or even to parents, but with the neurotic times we live in, everything said that may have the potential to do harm is going to be acted on...Let's face it, if today's society is willing to send a 6yr old to jail for kissing another 6 yr old at the playground , then yeah they are going to get upset with death threats...
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Society is screwed up for sure.
    Instead of chastizing the child, I'd go and look at the parents. I mean, for fsck's sake, who's responsible for the way the child grows up?