Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is my pc dying!?

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

Is my pc dying!?

OK this is really weird so im gonna start from the first. A few days ago my wireless internet connection went out. ( not totally unusual) since then I have found out my netgear router is toast. it was REALLY hot and I think it fried. ( im going with linksys next) thats not really my issue, just part of it. After my net died I decided to do a defrag and check disk on my system. Since that time it had come up saying "wireless network connection unavailable" ( well my net is down so I know I dont have it) now im not certain ( I havent checked yet) but Im pretty sure I removed my regular ethernet card to put the wireless one in. BUT it is also showing a local area connection wth a red X on it. I figured it was disabled so I right click on it and it ISNT disabled. It says the word "disable" instead of "enable" when I click the word disable it restarts my pc every time. When I go to device manager I dont see a regular nic card I see an Ethernet Controller. If I try and disable that or uninstall same deal It restarts my pc. After a few times of this happening a message has now appeared on my pc saying " Major hardware changes have been detected you have 3 days to reactivate your windows or you wont be able to use windows til you activate again. My question is this. once I get a new router I know I can fix my internet but is my pc dying?! its only 1 year old. I take really good care of it lol

Im running a legal copy of XP Pro. P4, 512 megs of ram I have a Linksys wireless card. and I wasnt doing anything crazy with it before this started. My internet just died ( as well as dying on my roomates pc's.) then I ran the scans and all this started!
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

AOs Resident Troll
    Maybe your board needs a bios update????

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

that is a possibility that I cant rule out but this all is just so sudden and random... I really dont want to have to format my hard drive either...
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

For the love of god, STAY AWAY FROM LINKSYS!

I had one. It dropped connection constantly. Tech support told me I had to have line-of-site for it to work. Uh, hello? If I had line-of-site, I'd run CAT5 to the computer.

I switched to a SMC Barricade G and have had absolutely no problems in more than a year of use.
    Misery is not my friend, but I\'ll break before I bend.

what do you suggest? I wasnt to happy with netgear and I have heard horrid things about Belkin
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

AOs Resident Troll
    I use dlinks....they work fine for home use...you can get repeaters\amplifiers for them.

Never really had any problems....

as for linksys....I pickup a linksys wireless at my house thats somewhere in the nieghbourhood....and its definately not line of site

MLF

You have to be able to connect to the net to "reactivate windows" so im gonna have to get my internet working again to reactive but I think there may be more issues than just that as I outlined above. I cant hardwire into my modem because I cant find my regular nic all I have is my wireless card
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

AOs Resident Troll
    You can phone MS to activate....I have done it

MLF

Hi Tex

I've been using a DLink 704P for two years now without any problems (knock on wood), they are fairly cheap in price and are easy to configure..

http://www.dlink.com/
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

I dont mean to be rude and thank you for the router reviews but could we please bring this back on track? I have attached screenshots of my problem. everytime I click on "disable" on the ethernet controller it restarts my pc. I re-activated my windows btw. I want the red X icon to go away and I want to disable that nic controller? I guess? since I am not working wirelessly again. I just really want to know if all this is being caused because my windows is dying?

Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted