Thread: Copyright question

Copyright question

I want to make sure I understand this. When we post material on AO for which we (the user) own the copyright, we grant AO a license to use our materials. By materials I mean tutorials and comments in our posts.

However, we (the users) still retain copyright ownership over the materials and we can post these materials on other sites. Correct or not?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

From the AntiOnline appropriate use policy:

By posting messages, uploading files, inputting data, or engaging in any other form of communication through this service (collectively "the content"), you are granting Jupitermedia Corp., its successors and assignees, a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive, unrestricted, worldwide license to use, adapt, transmit, publicly perform or display any such content on the site to which it was contributed (or successor site). In plain English, you allow us to continue to display your contributions to the site. We won't do anything else with them, however.
    at http://www.jupitermedia.com/corporate/privacy/aup.html

JupiterMedia's license to user submitted matierial on this site is "non-exclusive", so you still have copyright ownership, yes. You have, however, given them permission to alter your submissions as they see fit, although they make a statement to the concept that they will not alter it. However, in the legal agreement, at http://www.jupitermedia.com/corporate/legal.html, the following appears, after a very similar paragraph:
    You agree that you shall have no recourse against JUPM for any alleged or actual infringement or misappropriation of any proprietary right in your communications to JUPM.
    Which, although not specifically revoking your copyrights, has the same effect, as you have waived any and all rights to enforce your agreement with them, assuming that clause is legal in your country and/or jurisdiction.

So yes, you still retain copyrights, however you have no way to enforce them, as far as I can tell.

[edit]But there is nothing in these agreements to prevent you from reposting your material elsewhere, which I think answers the main question[/edit]

If this post is inaccurate, I will delete it, however I do not believe that to be the case.

Any comments?
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

So yes, you still retain copyrights, however you have no way to enforce them, as far as I can tell.
    Thanks Striek,
    I was thinking that was the case, just want to be sure. My main reason for asking if I retained the copyright was this:
    Will I get in trouble for posting the same materials on another site? According to the TOS you posted, it should not be a problem.

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

I just want to be sure it's ok for us (me especially ) to use our own material elsewhere.
    Whoops, guess I missed the whole point of the question there. Yes, I have read both agreements thoroughly. There is nothing in them which revokes any copyright you have on them. Basically, you are licensing Jupiter Media to do what they wish with your material, without giving up your own rights to do so.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!