Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 beta review

SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 beta review

For the forthcoming SLED (Suse Linux Enterprise Desktop) 10, Novell went back to the drawing board to rethink what makes a good desktop. The result is extremely impressive.

I installed the beta of SLED 10 on a Fujitsu LifeBook P5010 notebook [..] No Linux install on this machine has ever passed with flying colors — until now, that is.

[...]

The desktop environment itself is clean, attractive, and free of clutter. Novell claims to have done extensive user testing to refine SLED’s UI, and it shows. This is not your average, stock Gnome system.

The first difference you’ll notice is the new Computer menu, which organizes the most popular applications in one menu. Less often-used applications can be found on a larger dialog box (see screenshot), which somewhat resembles Mac OS X’s Control Panel. Although it takes some getting used to, this approach is a welcome change from the dizzying layers of some distributions’ more Windows-like hierarchical menus.

Novell takes pains to emphasize SLED’s enterprise-readiness, but all work and no play makes a dull distribution. In addition to the expected productivity apps and Novell add-ons such as Beagle desktop search and Tomboy notes, SLED includes fun additions such as the F-Spot photo management software and Banshee media player.

Novell has tweaked the look and feel of many of the apps, such as OpenOffice.org, to give them a uniform polish. Moreover, fans of GUI glitter will appreciate the new, Mac OS-like Xgl desktop effects. Although disabled by default and officially unsupported on my card, they worked fine and provided fun eye candy (if not practical use).

[...]

SLED 10 is hands down the most polished desktop Linux distribution I’ve ever used — and that includes Ubuntu. If Novell can sustain the level of effort it put into this release for future versions, SLED will rapidly become a serious contender for enterprise workstation use.
    Source: http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/...5TCsled_1.html

The reviewer mentions a few gripes.. But, it is still in beta testing. And, to be honest, I can't wait to try it! If it is as good as the reviewer says it is, then it may be a possible replacement for Windows in the enterprise..

We'll see

The original thread on it here: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=274324

The issue of Novell Connection Magazine I just got in the mail 2 weeks ago has some really good stuff on this. And as yuo said quite rightly it IS Beta, so there are some things that are going to break maybe. when this si released I'm hopign to get a copy to toy with.

Aye - I hope to get my hands on a copy too when it comes out. Then, I might finally have a solid, secure distribution with which I can seduce 'the office' to install on all the computers

That's unlikely, at least until Vista comes out.. (Then the price tag might put them off enough for SLED 10 to replace it). But, I like to dream

I was just having a smoke outside and was thinking about Vista. One of the things I keep thinking are the Hardware specs you need just to run the thing. Doom 3 is about the same. But Doom 3 is a game that like the original, was top of the line and showed the World how realistic graphics can truely be.

Vista is an OS. So I have mixed feelings about it. The main selling point it seems as of now for it is the Aero interface since they scratched almost every new feature. And as of ight now, not to many computers can even run it.

I think it's great news for Novell. You don't need to be able to run Doom 3 to run SUSE.

I've read a few times that some places still run Windows NT and won't upgrade even though security fixes are goign down the drain, and I don't understand why in the hell people would pay as much (I'm guessing by the way, but I highly doubt Vista is goign to be 99 dollars.) ... I just think it's goign to end up being costly.

If you think about it:

Windows 2000 Professional was 300 dollars even like two years ago, as was XP, so we know it's goign to be at least there, but the high end versions are probably going to be like 700 dollars. That price wouldn't shock me.

I know I'm not spending that much.

Microsoft right now says they aren't fixing a huge hole in Windows 98 because it isn't feasable. I know a lot of people running that even now.

Seems to me like a perfect chance for Novell to step in and say "Well we have something cheaper, and way more stable".

XP is STILL 300 bucks.

My laptop was built over a year ago and it runs Vista just fine. But the specs are pretty high, assuming you want to enable all the features. I don't think MS will sell many older upgrades but all new PCs released from now on will probably ship Vista enabled. Remember Aero is just the interface the new graphics system is running it. Traditionlly games have been the items to force hardware upgrades. Doom3 is a GREAT example. If you want all the whistles it had HIGH minimum requirements. This is the first for an OS I believe. But imagine the games using the new graphics system; WDDM? Not to mention DirectX 10 with tweaked shaders. A change from vertex based shaders to geometry based shaders.

Not sure I would upgrade either though outside of "testing". But I wouldn't turn down a copy with a new pc. The requirements are high, but most PCs from the last year or two should run it fine, Aero Glass enabled. And it will be games, not business that will lead the first pack.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

There was something I wanted to add in the article:

Moreover, fans of GUI glitter will appreciate the new, Mac OS-like Xgl (http://www.novell.com/linux/xglrelease/) desktop effects. Although disabled by default and officially unsupported on my card, they worked fine and provided fun eye candy (if not practical use).
    His card wasn't even supported yet it worked.

XGL, I have to say, looks way better than Aero. Now obviously, I'm Elitist for SUSE and have been for a while. Everyone knows it. However, if you look at these, XGL runs NICE even on cards that aren't supposed to work... And ti does it with no where near the system requirements of Vista.

Also something else I saw:

I went to linux.org today. I was reading the news and noticed not more than a day ro two goes by without someone saying how Novell's SUSE Enterprise 10 has a GREAT area for Windows competition.

And this is a BETA! Something not even being released yet as bugs are worked on!

You know I still remember the day I installed SUSE for the first time. I expected the same thing every other Linux install gave me. Good options, but no sound and no internet connection.

I remember when the install was done I loaded up SUSE and thought to myself "Man, this is NICE... It's one of the most polished up desktops I've ever seen ever."...

I loaded a browser and then pinged Yahoo! As a joke. I knew it wasn't goign to work because Linux never worked with my modem, or my NIC or my soundcard.

Well.... Of course pinging didn't work. But then I realised I typed it wrong so I tried again....IT WORKED.

I sat there in awe. How was this possible? I loaded up Konq and typed in http://www.yahoo.com and sat there with my mouth open. It loaded it up.

I was like =o

It had worked.

I sat there thinking to myself OMG I have GOT to do something.

It was my first time making anything but Windows 98 get online and I hadn't done anything. I hadn't configured a damn thing and it worked.

It's almost funny thinking back to how bad I was at Linux. At that was only 3 years ago. Lol.

Anyway, Bill Gates is leaving Microsoft in two years to do something good. Vista has requirements that make peopel cringe.

All the while, Novell isn't going anywhere, and they have a new toy in the play ground.

Gore it's funny, you love linux but were amazed it actually worked? And yes SuSE is the most polished desktop for linux and the easiest to install yet. That's why all my red hat boxes are now SuSE.

I'll have to look more into this XGL I wonder if it supports mutiple 3d applications accessing the GPU at once and if the interface is truly rendered on the fly and not just pasted into a 3d environ.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

I saw on MS' site that Windows XP SP1 will be supported until later on in 2006. Does anyone know if MS has set a date to end all Windows XP support?

I ask because I'm wondering when people currently using XP will be forced to upgrade or switch to something else.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

MS policy is to support 2 legacy OS. So they are not supporting an old service pack after this year, but they will support XP until Vista and 2 other OS's are released. After the second future release - could be bye bye for XP. But XP will be almost 7 years old at the end of 2006 (if you include betas). If ya don't have XP service pack 2 installed by now. Too bad. Hell service pack 2 was released August 2005. XP should be good until the next decade, unless mass technology breakthroughs occur.

Don't post much at night.... BOO!
    West of House

Hi Road,
    Thanks for your answer. I'm not sure though. Look at this page
    under the topic, 1. What is the Support Lifecycle policy? I'm interpreting it to mean they will support XP only two years after Vista comes out. What do you think?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)