Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 beta review

Originally posted here by RoadClosed
    XP is STILL 300 bucks.

300 huh? it's only 90bucks here in Aus. and that's at the high end retailers that usually overcharge on everything they can..

i guess i should go purchase a few and flog 'em off on ebay then..

Is that the Upgrade Version or the Full Version?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Originally posted here by preacherman481
    Is that the Upgrade Version or the Full Version?

Full Version. with a sp2 disc

Seems MS updated their policy in 2004. But it's still not bad. I tend to think from a business perspective so when I think of support it's in this area such as Office, Exchange, etc and not PictureIt or Encarta. But it is still the current plus 2 successor products, and for 2 years after:

Microsoft will also provide Extended support for the 5 years following Mainstream support or for 2 years after the second successor product (N+2) is released, whichever is longer. Finally, most Business and Developer products will receive at least 10 years of online self-help support.
    And it is almost always longer for the successor product to be released verus the standard 5 year policy.

I have never seen the full version for 99 bucks. I buy at least 3 copies a month. I was refering to XP pro but still home is expensive. If you get it for 99 thats a good deal. Unless they are selling an OEM addition which is technicly "illegal". As I understand it OEM licenses are only good for that PC, that's why the sticker is on the PC now. But who cares? The keys work. Even at WalMart.com it's $200 for home and $300 for pro. They have some OEM copies for 119.00 out to Texas though.

As for online you can get it cheap as hell. They don't come in XP boxes though. Officially it's still 300 bucks.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

BAH....

Well I was dragged kicking and screaming to Wal-Mart (Wally World) this weekend so I wondered over to the software and they had XP for 87 and some change. Home edition that is, there were no boxes so I couldn't see if it was OEM. I did notice the software section was HALF the size it used to be while the console section was twice as big. SAD. PC games are much better.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

A small update on the original topic
    According to a Novell Inc. confidential memo dated June 14, Novell will be slightly delaying its next release of both the server and desktop versions of SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 'to address final issues with our new package management, registration, and update system and also fix the remaining blocker defects.'

SUSE has a new update and package management system, which has not worked well in its initial release in the free, community OpenSUSE 10.1 release.
    More at source: http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS2847107085.html

Cheers,

-jk

Oh no... It's Linux Genuine Advantage comming....

West of House