Thread: Complete Server Monitoring Tool

Question Complete Server Monitoring Tool

I'm looking for a complete server monitoring tool. Something that not only tells me the health of my servers, but also something that monitors everything that goes on such as application installs, changes, and who did them, etc. I also need it to maintain what is installed on the server, when it was installed, version number, etc. Literally something that monitors everything on a server...

Does anyone here know of a product that will do this that isn't $12,000. I have searched the internet and found some software inventory tools, or a server monitor software, but nothing that puts them together.

Also if their isn't something that puts it together, can anyone recommend some software that I can use together that will work well? maybe something someone has used previoiusly?

All fine and dandy ... But you failed to mention which OS you run on your network ... Is it mainly Microsoft, Unix, Sun or whatever ??

It can't cost to much ... I think that will be every sysadmins dream ... A do it all softwarepackage ...And if possible no configuration that takes the better part of a year ...Especially with all the fine tuning that will be necessary.

Anyhow ... If you want it *free* ...you're best bet will be nagios ... but you'll have to know your way around *nix to be able to profit from it ...Not that it is extremely difficult, but if you lack the experience in that field ... It's more difficult offcourse

You can also monitor Windows environment with nagios.

So if you could provide more details about the OS your network is running, the answers will probably be more accurate.

.C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

sorry.. this is for Windows. I tried nagios awhie back and I couldn't get it working properly. I lack the *nix experiance needed.

I'm afraid that for the things you need, and especially for the windows environment, you won't come of cheap.

Have you checked Microsoft Operations Manager ??

I don't know how many servers you need to monitor but a license for 1 MOM server costs about 750$, then you need a license for each server you wish to monitor... A 5 pack standard OML"s is about 1000$ and a 5 pack Enterprise OML's is about 2700$ ....Then you need to count the license and purchase of SQL.

This is actually one of the more cheaper ones out there ... and one that gets more and more support from enterprises... There is actually work in progress for the MOM 2007 which will integrate with other Microsoft software... or so goes the rumor.

Anyway ... There are other possibilities ...But for the thing you want ... You either buy alot of different packages which work alongside eachother or you invest in a decent management/monitoring system that will provide you better RTO.

.C.

I wasn't aware that MOM would give me the monitoring that I am looking for.. such as if anything changes, applications installed, etc....

anything else out their besides MOM?

MOM monitors your server's eventlogs ...So anything that enters the eventlog can get reported by MOM ...There are many add-ons for MOM to ... Anyway ...Others ...

HP Openview Operations (very good but very expensive)
    NetIQ
    Quest Software has some management software to.
    and many more ...

I also forgot to mention that MOM has a workgroup edition, which is cheaper but can monitor only about 10 servers.

I'm NOT affiliated with Microsoft ... I just have some experience in implementing monitoring solutions like MOM and nagios.

.C.