Thread: Intro to TrueCrypt Video

King Tutorial-ankhamun

Intro to TrueCrypt Video

TrueCrypt is an open source encryption package for Windows and Linux, with plans to port it to other systems as well. It allows you to create file systems that transparently encrypt the data stored to them. Since it is open sourced it has been well reviewed and can be ported to new platforms, not something that can be said for Microsoft’s EFS. Another cool feature of TrueCrypt is “plausible deniability” encryption. A hidden volume can be stored in a standard volume using a different password, allowing the user, if forced, to giveaway the outer volume password while keeping the hidden volume password secret.

You can download TrueCrypt from:
    http://www.truecrypt.org/

The video is located here:
    http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/truecrypt1

That's a pretty sweet tutorial you've got here.

I'm setting up a new computer right now and this should be quite a useful tool.

I'm going to give it a try on both my flash drives and external hard drives that I port around.

Now... the MOST important question you'll get here...

What is Linux Girls.avi? When I search google, I find another tutorial by you with a file name of Naughty Linux Girls.avi... do share! lol I haven't even seen that on slashdot!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Computer Forensics
    We've been using truecrypt for quite a while now. The tool is great, does what it's supposed to and best of all it's free. One of the best functions is the ability to escrow the keys for data retrieval later -- policy demands we have this. I especially enjoy the traveler's disk --we're using this for our USB keys. Can't wait to watch the vid because we wrote several docs for people to use the utility so maybe linking to your video would complement them.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Great Video, I wonder if its possible to store the hidden volume in an alternate data stream of a regular truecrypt volume. and if not, why?

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    I can't see why not, and I just tested and you can have a Truecrypt volume in and Alternative Data Stream.

excellent v-tut! have you had any issues with the software crashing or any other mal-behavior while working with it?

thanks!
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.

Just to second what has already been said, TrueCrypt is a fantastic program. It gives me the freedom to keep sensitive information on my USB drive without worrying about losing it. Its truly the best on-the-fly encryption utility available right now....and the fact that its free and ultra portable is nice too. Im using a combination of 3 programs to keep my portable data secure right now.....listed below.

TrueCrypt - For data stored on my hard drive or on my USB drive
    Thunderbird w/ Enigmail (PGP add-on) - Sending Email securely
    fSekrit - For creating quick self decrypting text files encrypted w/ AES

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Well, so far it has seemed pretty solid.

Originally posted here by genXer
    excellent v-tut! have you had any issues with the software crashing or any other mal-behavior while working with it?

thanks!

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Sorry to bring up the old thread, but here is a small addition.

Using TrueCrypt With NTFS Alternate Data Streams:
    http://irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/truecryptaltds

A real cool way to hide data.