Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IP addresses and geography

IP addresses and geography

hello all.....

Is it possible for someone in the area of Montreal, Quebec, Canada to have been assigned an IP address from a Tampa, FL, USA area pool?

The IP address was taken from three sources: email-hotmail, email-yahoo, and IM-yahoo.

Tracing route to pool-71-122-221-xxx.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net [71.122.221.xxx]

(Where xxx=175)

thanks.
    The early worm gets eaten by the bird.

I dont know...If i put my ip in the tracer on this site it tells me i'm from boston, when i'm really from minnesota. I dont know how this all works, but i can trace with DOS which i learned on here. You should check it out. I'd rather do it myself than let a website or company do it for me.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Your IP address is assigned by your ISP im with comcast and im pulling an IP address from Chantilly, Virginia, United States. But I live in Texas. it doesnt matter where you live it matters where your ISP is pulling your address from.

Keep in mind this is just an educated guess im not 100% positive on this.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Yes it is, in theory..................a lot of these databases are out of date............. several tell me that I am in Toronto

I don't mind the very long swim, it is the long walk before and afterwards

What traceroute did you use?

Don't trust the IP locator on this site. It's actually quite broken, probably using an database years out of date by now.

It even tells me I'm in Queensland, Australia. WAY off.

VisualRoute is a far better tool if you want to locate an address geographically; they actually keep the database up to date.

And to the best of my knowldge, Verizon does not offer Internet in Montreal. Unless this person is using a cellphone (and even then it's unlikely), something is amiss...
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Hi Striek,

Do you remember that post a few weeks back? the guy had a related question............ I did some investigation and found out the source of this incorrect info. The guys said that the database was no longer maintained from a few years back, and there have been a load of reallocations since?

Drklabyrinth , if this is important, please let me know, and I will find it for you, otherwise I would not want to spend half an hour or so................ I know /My Bad ...... I should have written it down!

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Is my above post anywhere near correct? Like I said it was an educated guess
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

This board is by far the best i've ever been on. It makes me think. I will write a tutorial on traceing with DOS, but not now, i'm moving and there's much to be done.

let me see if i understand you guys correctly.....

the databases that track this stuff are often out of date. Also, the pools of IP addresses are not static to an isp or geography?

i used netstat to display the IP, then pathping, and tracert to get the info....

Tracing route to pool-71-122-221-xxx.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net [71.122.221.xxx]

(Where xxx=175)

for what it is worth, i have been using this site when i want to look up isp info.
    http://psacake.com/web/eg.asp
    The early worm gets eaten by the bird.

The "ip locator" databases are often out of date. However, the dns shouldn't... and you see several clues in the name right there... tampa florida, dsl (most likely dynamically assigned), and several whois databases out there have the same type of info on that ip address.

http://samspade.org/t/lookat?a=71.122.221.175
    http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl (have to enter the ip address)

they both show verizon with contacts in VA (where their headquarters are)

What makes you think this IP *should* belong to someone in canada?
    It's possible they were working off of another machine remotely? (terminal services? ssh? etc.)
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.