Thread: Opera 9 Released

Opera 9 Released

Opera 9 was released today.
    Opera Software today released Opera 9, its newest Web browser for PCs. You can download it free in more than 25 languages for Windows, Mac, Linux and other platforms from www.opera.com. Opera 9 enhances the way you access, share and use online content by including innovative widgets--fun, small and useful Web programs--and support for BitTorrent, the popular file distribution technology. Even while adding these improvements, Opera 9 maintains the security and speed millions of Opera fans have come to expect.

'For Opera 9, we worked hard to push the limits of what people expect from a Web browser, with increased speed, new Web standards support and innovative features such as widgets and BitTorrent,' said Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera Software. 'Even though we shaped this browser for the Web's future, we have the powerful features people want and need for their surfing today. I truly feel Opera 9 has something for everyone...'

More about Opera 9
    Opera 9 features: www.opera.com/products/desktop/
    Opera 9 screenshots: www.opera.com/products/desktop/screenshots/
    Opera 9 changelogs: http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/
    Full Press Release: http://linuxpr.com/releases/8804.html

I know a few people who won't use anything but Opera. I may just have to try this version out - I've never used Opera before

Does it pass the acid2 test?

[edit : it's in the changelog. It does. http://webstandards.org/files/acid2/test.html ]
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

Great! Although, Konqueror did pass that test a couple of months ago

Hehe.. I'll be giving Opera a go this weekend. If I like it, I'll stick with it - although, at the moment, I'm a bit too much of a Firefox addict

I'm a big Firefox guy. I used Konqueror briefly but it's too.. Hrm.. KDE for me
    .. This coming from the guy who switched from KDE to e17, but never you mind that!

Out of principle I may switch to Opera.. Until Firefox passes the Acid2 test, anyway.
    Definitions: Hacker vs. Cracker
    Gentoo Linux user, which probably says a lot about me..
    AGA member 14460 || KGS : Trevoke and games archived

Hehe - I like Enlightenment a lot as well.. But KDE seems the most complete to me, so I use it

Let me know what you think of the new Opera, as I'll have to wait until the weekend to try it..

Thanks!