\winnt\system32\config\system
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: \winnt\system32\config\system

\winnt\system32\config\system

howdy.

Well i went to boot up my win2k pro box and the thing is spitting out the following error message after the Bios menu.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
    Ok i've looked at numerous google searches and each site i've gone to has not actually given the solution, and because i've been suffering from a massive migraine all day, this is not helping the situation..

So i have already booted up using the win2000 install cd, and tried the recovery thing, both the console, and the other option that gives you a manual option or a fast option.
    {Cannot remember the exact details. }

Anyhow i do remember that it was asking for some sort of boot disc, witch i obviously do not have, i've just got the win2000 pro install CD..

so is there some sort of command i have to give or something, as i've found that sitting there abusing the computer is not doing anything positive.

cheers
    kris.!

AOs Resident Troll
    Shouldnt need a boot disk with w2k...if your boot from the cd????

you could try and repair...or just install right on top.....

although............I have seen this error with failing harddrives......

could your boot.ini have gotten mucked up......is this an oem machine??

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

I would suggest using the repair console and verifying that that file is there. This is the system hive of your registry. There may be a backup copy in that directory, called System.ALT. If there is you can use that one in its place, but it might be missing recent changes. just rename it. If that isn't there, there is generally a system in \winnt\system32\repair. This one is probably MUCH older than your current file, but might be enought to get your system back running.

In any case this can be very dangerous playing around with the registry.

Thanks Morgan and Zenger. I eventually got the box up and running again..

appreciate the ideas, and help. thus greenies are in the mail.

cheers
    kris.!

AOs Resident Troll
    No problem.....

As for the stability of the repaired system........with XP...repairs work great....even NT worked great.....but what ever they did to 2k......I dont know

I have had little success with just repairing..and repatching a 2k system.....

Its quicker to to format and reinstall...

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

As for the stability of the repaired system....
    Tell me about it, once i was able to actually boot up and let me login to admin account, it was buggy and unstable as all heck..

But after a few tries and a lot of patience i've been able to iron out the problems. There's still a few errors everynow and again but it's working at least..

kris.!

Hey Fronties~ ,

Check this out: http://www.worldstart.com/weekly-dow...cleaner4.3.htm

I have used it with Win95/98/98SE/ME and on this Win 2000Pro SP4 box for years. I have never had any problems, and it even has a built in restore mechanism. I have certainly found that it can improve stability (particularly with Win ME )............it is free!

Also mate, I would recommend getting the diagnostics tool from your HDD manufacturer and running that.............I have had the same experience as MLF with this kind of thing happening on a failing HDD.

Cheers

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hey Fronties~

Also mate, I would recommend getting the diagnostics tool from your HDD manufacturer and running that.............I have had the same experience as MLF with this kind of thing happening on a failing HDD.

Cheers
    Howdy..

Already done the diagnostic tool thingy from the manufacturer's website, the hard drive is less then a year old.. And it isn't showing any chance of failure..

i've got suspicions that it first fruited up due to the power to the cafe suddenly getting turned off. Thus the box did not have time to shut down properly. And because it was not connected to the UPS at the time it effectivly turned off.

and then the next time i went to use it that's when the errors started emerging..

anyhow i took a looksie at the site you pointed me to, but i already use a similar program, but the one i am using moves the uneeded stuff to a new folder, and then if the computer is able to reboot and not want to use those files etc that have been moved then it will let you delete them, it also has a restore feature for those times when things go bump in the night..

<edit> http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...em/dllarch.htm </edit> program that i've been using.

cheers
    kris.!

Hi Fronties~ ,

Please take a closer look at that tool, it does a lot more than the one you are using

Yeah, I take your point about the power cuts. In quite a few threads, I have asked people about power supply problems or thunderstorms you can get some really weird things happen after that sort of thing.

I am with Nihil on several fronts.. except..
    Before running the HDD tools.. I would get a copy of HDD regen and giv it a chance to scan the HDD.. Had a run of problems this week at work with some of the engineers Lappys. various symptoms including unrecognised boot volume errors.
    Ran this tool, found upto 5 bad sectors repaired.. on one I had to do a chkdsk /r and Fixbootall issues solved..
    The causes have been varied but mainly bad shutdowns.. the engineers know best..right?
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr