Thread: Secure Passwords

Secure Paswords

Here is a neat idea. A chart that is generated using a passphrase. You enter a password (can be a simple dictionary word) and it generates a new password based on your password. You have the chart to refer to on how to enter your password.

It looks like it'd be a pain to get used to... but a neat little spin on choosing passwords for once.

http://www.passwordchart.com/
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Not bad but i noticed that it doesn't use special characters just letters and numbers. Still it is an interesting way to get a password that has no referance to you.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Click on the box that says "Include punctuation?"
    It'll give much more.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    That is a neat tool, my only complaint is that it creates really long passwords which are good but for the normal end user I think it would be a real pain for them.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Hi Tex~

This is the usual "Mexican stand-off" is it not? Password length/strength against the user forgetting it or writing it on a "yellow stickie".

My compromise or "work around" is to have a "core" password and just "pack" it, so that it is too large to fit most cracking tools and rainbow tables.

Say you have a password "The Texan", all you have to do is : 9876543210 "The Texan", ABCdef¬!"£$%^&*()_+

Try cracking that

And there is nothing to remember, other than the state you come from

Numbers backwards (countdown), a space, your true password that you change regularly, then the top row of the keyboard with the upper shift key pressed?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Personally, I believe that passwords are an outdated concept. We're about 10 years past their usability and utility. Considering the way things work today I'd plunk my chips down on the biometrics sector. There are great things happening in this area which I think will make passwords obsolete in the next decade.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I think that Hoss~ is on target again. It is just a question of developing a reliable and affordable implementation IMO.

If you look at the way that access control systems are going, it seems to be an inevitable development? It would certainly reduce the vulnerability to remote attacks, unless you can find a way to crack the whole system, rather than an individual's identity and password?

It certainly takes it beyond the realms of skiddies?.............. I am actually messing with some handwriting recognition software right now