Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IP addresses and geography

If you'll be patient, i will write a tutorial on how to trace using DOS. I'm only going to do it if someone tells me how my first one is. I may have to change how i write things down and such.

If you cannot wait, PM me.

Why do i think they were in canada?

they told me they were in canada. and when i asked about the IP address from tampa, they got rather offended. they also had the same IP address at home (evening) and at work (afternoon).

Their IP address is now back to bouncing around the montreal area. (montreal, sherbrooke, toronto, kitchener...)
    The early worm gets eaten by the bird.

It's certainly possible that they were using an open proxy trying to conceal their real location.
    Or, that they were just using a remote machine.

If someone uses a tool like tor, their ip address will change with every request... so you'll never be able to find them. Take a look at it. Things aren't always as they seem...

http://tor.eff.org/
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

they had this same address for early january through mid march.
    The early worm gets eaten by the bird.

Hmmmmm,

My latest attempt to trace it gives me Reston, Virginia?

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois....71.122.221.175

As far as I know http://www.dnsstuff.com is a fairly useful tool, and up to date. It gets my IP into the UK at least, and the right general area (for the ISP's location).

EDIT: Traceroute doesn't help, as we seem to hit a firewall in Verizon land?

nihil: that is just the whois record. the address listed there is the verizon headquarters.
    the dns record is going to be more reliable. as we can see from the dns record the general area. (thank the techs for making it easier for us)

If I whois my ip it tells me the isp and their contacts are in NJ when I'm in DE. If I look at the dns record of my ip, I can see DE clearly listed in the dns record. The whois record can have any info in it. It's just who owns the address and who to contact regarding technical or legal issues.

ISPs don't always put a clue as to where the connection is coming from... but many do to make it easier on the techs troubleshooting issues such as routing problems. It'd be a pain for them to have to look up every hop in a route when it's so easy to put easy to understand info in the dns record.

My tracert indicates that it's def. going to florida.

I'd say that the person who told you they were from canada is either one of the following:

From canada and working remotely from a machine in florida.
    From canada and using a proxy in florida.

or

From florida and now that you've called them on the ip discrepancey... they're now using a proxy around the area from where they claim to actually be.

Seeing that the ip was the same for so long, I'd say it's the latter. Now they're just trying to cover their a$$!

They are not all that difficult to find...
    http://www.xroxy.com/proxy-country-CA.htm
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.