Irix

Thread: Irix

Irix

Howdy.

Just curious about the unix 0s Irix, just wondering where i am able to download it, and if i cannot download it then roughly how much does is cost?

tried googling but have not been able to find any thing relevant to what i'm looking for.

Hey f2b

According to my knowledge and what I could find IRIX is a UNIX-based operating system made by SGI and it's supposed to run on SGI MIPS.

Also it's only available when you buy SGI hardware.
    Here's the official website of IRIX from SGI LINK

.C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Hi Cem~

AFAIK Irix is meant to run on SGI processors but there is a free (open source) version around. SGI don't support it though

http://freeware.sgi.com/

Originally posted here by Cemetric
    Hey f2b

According to my knowledge and what I could find IRIX is a UNIX-based operating system made by SGI and it's supposed to run on SGI MIPS.

Also it's only available when you buy SGI hardware.
    Here's the official website of IRIX from SGI LINK

.C.
    Howdy.

i have just purchased a Indy 4600 PC.

but it has nothing installed, the person whom i got it from did not have the install CD for it, so i was hoping that i could download it or purchase it.

other then that i'm going to be dissapointed if i cannot get the 0s for it..

kris.!

Hey Fronties~ please go to the link in my post and get Irix 6.5................ it will run on an Indy4600.

You only seem to have 32Mb of RAM, I would recommend trying to get it to 128Mb. I believe that it takes 72pin OS/2 with parity (gold contacts?)

Cheers

EDIT: The 2004 version is free

Originally posted here by nihil
    Hey Fronties~ please go to the link in my post and get Irix 6.5................ it will run on an Indy4600.

You only seem to have 32Mb of RAM, I would recommend trying to get it to 128Mb. I believe that it takes 72pin OS/2 with parity (gold contacts?)

Cheers

EDIT: The 2004 version is free
    Nihil, i've got a few sticks of ram lying around, so the ram issue will not be a problem. just checked out the site you linked to, seems promising enough

cheers
    kris.!

Good ...All solved then

.C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Originally posted here by Cemetric
    Good ...All solved then

.C.

For now yes, but guaranteed i will pop up with a few question sooner or latter concering it.

Hi Fronties~ will gladly try to help, but I am afraid I won't be of much use. I have never actually used that kit.

My experience has been Sun/SPARC & Solaris and IBM/Aix still the basic principles are possibly much the same?

Cheers

will keep that in mind nihil..
    i'm hoping to get some time sometime tomorrow to actually sit and have a good play around with it.
    i've already pulled the casing off and inspected the insides gave a little dusting etc, but haven't had much time to actually get it up and running..