The Patriot Act Must Die...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Patriot Act Must Die...

The Patriot Act Must Die...

Am I the only republican alive that thinks the Patriot Act is out of control? And I say that on the eve of the 7 who were arrested for plotting to blow up the Sears Tower and a Federal Building in Miami. But at the same time I just got off a conference call with the DMV. Do you realize what this thing has become? I don't care how brain washed all you righties are out there. Think for yourselves.

I have clients in the financial sector. The latest... when you are approved for a car loan from any source. They have to report your drivers license information to the government. Why does the government have to know where you get the money? They already know what car you have, rob you of a months pay and force you into compliance with their federal statues.

And that is just the surface. You people are BLIND. I supported this to weed out problems after 911 and I don't regret any of that. But now, after the initial period was supposed be be over... we got duped and it's every right wing talk show and automaton "patriot" that did it. Except for perhaps Mike Church and the likes of crazy old bastards like Mike Savage.

One word.. PAY ATTENTION.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Erm - pay attention is 2 words.

You can't get a credit card/personal loan without it being reported to the government. You can't Western Union someone more than $1000 without it being reported to the government. You can't withdraw more than $50000 from your own bank account without it being reported to the government by your bank. Why would you think they wouldn't be reporting your car loans too?
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Banned
    Your post comes at the right time

Check this out.

US government officials said the programme was limited to tracing transactions of people suspected of ties to al Qaeda by reviewing records from a Belgian cooperative known as SWIFT, or Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication, the "nerve centre of the global banking industry," the newspaper reported on its Web site.
    Bloody Belgians...

Treasury officials said SWIFT was exempt from American laws restricting government access to private financial records because the cooperative was considered a messaging service, not a bank or financial institution.
    Ahahhaaahhh... Now that makes perfect sense

Edit: Here's the original NYT article that got the ball rolling.

And of course - as usual - the right is quick to say that "Yet again, the New York Times was presented with a simple choice: help protect American national security or help al Qaeda. Yet again, it sided with al Qaeda." (http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...A5YTQ3NzkxZWQ=)

My dear friends and Allies,

Please do not think that anything is much different over here in the UK, it isn't. We don't have a "Patriot Act" as such, but we have very much similar legislation.

This is nothing to do with "patriotism" or even "terrorism" for that matter, it has
    EVERYTHING to do with T A X A T I O N

See..............I even spelt it out in brightly coloured capital letters to match a US/UK politician's crayon set

Please remember that Al Capone was NOT busted by the FEDs, he got 13 in Joliet for tax evasion, courtesy of the IRS.............and how did they catch him?............. well he had "assets in excess of his declared earnings" we have exactly the same legislation over here (apart from sentencing rules) and have had for a similar period of time

Have any of you guys wondered why, under US taxation law, the US/UK double taxation agreement is Section 485, and under the UK's Income and Corporation Taxes Act the UK/US double taxation agreement is Section 485?

This is a sign of politically bankrupt pseudo-civilisations, who have already sold their children's legacies to the Chinese, going into their death throes.

I guess I have ranted for enough now?

Banned
    What's a Taxaton?

Good Boy!

"A politician on the end of a rope"?????????????

"The right" opposed the passage of an income tax, but people wanted
    to "tax the rich". "The right" opposed the passage of the social security
    tax, but the people wanted the income in their old age. It is ironic seeing
    the same people who favored every other restrictive and confiscatory
    regulation on the economy, now awaken to the danger of using the
    regulatory power over financial transactions used to catch some raghead
    murderer. I can't stir myself to get outraged over this one.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Interesting slant on it there rcgreen I am obviously not American, but I suspect the complaints are that the legislation is being brought in under the guise of counter-terrorism. That is; "through the back door".

As I mentioned, we have had this legislation in the UK for some time now (pre-9/11) and it came in "through the front door"...............sort of

Our "Income Tax" is quite amusing............it is a "temporary tax to finance the Napoleonic Wars", which I thought we had won some time ago? Still, because of this, it has to be re-approved every year

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    What amazes me is that with all this security and scrutiny over private law abiding citizens accounts how is it that some criminal armed with my SS number can open up a charge account for himself with me holding the bag?

Why are the laws rigged for credit companies to stiff citizens for their screwups, they issued the card erroneously they should eat the bill, put a $10,000 penalty on any misreport to someone's credit report. See how fast this "one click" credit lasts.

I have no illusion of privacy but why is it I needed to provide 2 forms of ID for me and my children when opening a passbook savings account at a local bank but as I said with a SSN someone can make 1 click and get a charge card.

It's not so much the patriot act, its the whole political system (Dems, Repubs), the soft money, the PACS, the lobbyists. This is not what Jefferson and the founding fathers had in mind. We should throw the whole lot out in the next election. Representatives should represent their constituents.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Banned
    All politics in the US have a corruption factor do to the pay politicians get. Remove the financial aspects of politics and these greedy devious bastards will go somewhere else.

example: us congress voted them selfs a raise do to the cost of living rising, $3100 per year bringing their total years pay to nearly $170,000. Just after this the same congress rejected a bill to raise minimium wage for the people that actually notice the cost of living.

They don't seem to give a rats behind about the people rights or opinions, and obviously think they are above the law. I dont beleive the information being gathered is in good faith, they wouldn't be going through the trouble unless somehow there was money to be made.