Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do posts get booted or demoted?

Originally posted here by dalek
    I don't think the question was that simple, as I look at the new posts (while logged in) I see the patriot act must die...08:39 pm, but if I log out the top post is How do posts get booted 12:16Am, so you gurus can you explain that one...
    Your preferences are different than the default preferences (not logged in or never have changed the settings) for the script on the main page, thus pulling different posts from the forums based on those preferences.

Here:

http://www.vbadvanced.com/

or to make it easier...SCRIPTING CONDITIONALS.

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...e_conditionals
    There are only two kinds of programming languages: those people always bitch about and those nobody uses.

That makes two.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Gore

Actually, I don't think that there is an FAQ that specifically deals with this question?

I thought that it was worthy of an answer (if only based on my observations) to let people know that they can design their own front page content and get a quick start on most recent activity?

I have slightly modified the title to make it more comprehensive for searches.

//off topic

I was thinking of you just now as I poured myself another glass of "The Little Penguin"............a cheeky Shiraz from South Eastern Australia..............unfortunately not open source, but @ 13.5% abv, it will suffice
    //

Hmmmm,

I am making this a separate post because the subject is relevant but tangential.

Please remember that you are effectively taking "snapshots" of web pages? so, if you go into new posts and then exit without refreshing your browser will probably refresh the page that you return to if set to do that.

Certainly, a new login will have that effect. I have noticed that when I go to answer a post and come back to "new posts" everything is as it was when I left it. If I then hit "refresh" several new items will appear, or stuff will change position.

I am using tabbed browsing; might this be the cause?

hm, I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say? are you hitting the back button without refreshing after you post a reply? If that's the case, of course you are looking at an old snapshot...you'd have to go forward to see the newest version and have the script update itself with the new information.

If you're still not seeing the information going forward after you've posted the reply and have to refresh to get it - it's a caching issue, which is highly possible seeing that this is a very hacked, unsupported old version of vBulletin. It could probably use a lot of code optimization and an upgrade.
    There are only two kinds of programming languages: those people always bitch about and those nobody uses.

Hi Christina

which is highly possible seeing that this is a very hacked, unsupported old version of vBulletin. It could probably use a lot of code optimization and an upgrade.
    I believe that is a pretty accurate analysis

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Well people sure do like to have fun at my expense! Some of you have advised that I delete this post to avoid embarrassment but I learned long ago not to be embarrassed about anything. I asked what I thought was a valid question but apparently others dont think so. Anyway thanks for those of you trying to be serious ( Mostly Nihil) I guess the concenus is after 24 hrs the new posts just "appear" on the board and the old ones disappear. anyway im not afraid to ask questions and look stupid, who knows how many other people wanted to know that and were just afraid to ask! so to all of you, I could say suck it! but I wont lol go ahead have a laugh and I will laugh with you

P.S. I do believe Gore had the best answer and in my defense it was late when I posted that I was tired.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Banned
    24 posts - not hours

And I shouldn't say "posts" because it's not entirely correct... but it's 24 times more correct than "every 24 hours"

Fishes and worms... I must be the first one to ever use those smilies...

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Interesting thread.

Comical, informative yet sad all at the same time.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

now can it be closed.

seeing as it has served it's purpose and all..

me flexes moderator muscles and goes to close thread, but realise's he's on the wrong forum.