Thread: Swapping Hdd to new computer

BANNED

Swapping Hdd to new computer

My dog urinated on my windows xp disk a while back and I haven't replaced it. I got a new computer and swapped my hard drive from my old computer to my new. When I start the computer it shuts down in the middle of loading windows. I figure it's getting mixed signals but is there anyway to make the swap work?
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Hi,

Have you still got the CD?

Have you still got the old computer?

If you still have the CD try cleaning it with a mild household detergent (washing up liquid) in warm water. Rinse it carefully and dry it with a soft cloth. Never wipe with a circular motion, always outwards from the centre to the edge.

Can you put the HDD back into the old computer and see if it works there?

Have you installed WGA on the hard drive?

Is your copy of Windows XP an OEM or a full commercial one?

have you tried booting straight into safe mode?
    sometimes after doing a backup image from one computer to the other, the computer tends to go a little spastic.
    And i've found the booting up into safe mode generally put's it back into place..

BANNED
    I can swap it back and it works, safe mode doesn't help, and I didn't mention that when he pissed on the cd it made the foil come off of the disk.
    It's win xp professional and what is WGA?

Ah!

WGA = Windows Genuine Advantage, Microsoft's latest anti-piracy debacle. If you have applied SP2 and all the latest patches, you have probably installed this as well.

Have you contacted Microsoft?, they normally replace damaged CDs for a nominal charge, or even for free if you tell them your particular misfortune

Now, here is the problem:

Your Win XP has a validation code (that is the number on the sticker that came with the CD) and an activation code (that you get from Microsoft). It generates a key that identifies the installation with the hardware environment, and checks this when you boot up. I suspect that putting the HDD into a completely new hardware environment is what is causing the problem, as the test will certainly fail somewhere along the line.

I have replaced some components and applied upgrades without difficulty but as soon as you throw a new motherboard into the equation you basically have to do a reinstall and go through the validation and activation process again.

This brings me back to the question of whether you have an OEM version or a regular commercial one. The rules for an OEM version is that it can only be used with the original computer that it was supplied with. Microsoft defines a new computer as a new motherboard.

This brings us to the WGA DRM fiasco, it doesn't work that well , but in this case will almost certainly indentify your installation as pirate, quite possibly even if it is a commercial version (which can be legitimately be transferred).

I would say that the only virtually guaranteed method would be a clean install on the new system, validate then activate. For that you will need the CD.

Just a few thoughts

BANNED
    Yeah. I figured it wasn't going to work. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips. It's not an OEM version. I ordered a copy of xp home I just wanted to keep pro but it'll probably be a pain to get microsoft to send me a copy. Thanks for the help.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I doubt it... People assume these procedures are going to be a pain in the arse because they're dealing with microsoft. In my experience, dealing with microsoft has been pretty painless... Just explain to them what happened... If you still have the cd key that would make everything much easier...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Actually, Microsoft have always been very good about that sort of thing in my experience. I would give them a call.

Have you considered getting a new HDD and doing a clean install of XP Home onto that. Then slave the other (old) HDD to the machine and copy across whatever you need.

That would give you two machines to play with at only the cost of the new drive.

I think that MS usually charge about $25 or $30 for a replacement, but I have always managed to "persuade" them to send me them for free.

The other possibility is; but please READ THIS DISCLAIMER FIRST!

I do not subscribe to pirating or illegal copying of other people's intellectual property. Anyone doing what I am about to suggest should check its legality in their location.

OK, I just took out a Windows XP Pro CD and carefully read the back. It clearly says "Do not make illegal copies of this disc" (note the "illegal copies" as opposed to just "copies") . Now, over here it is permissible to protect your consumer rights by making a backup copy..........................so I just did..................and it works

Furthermore, Microsoft are licensing you the right to use the software in accordance with their TOS; they are not selling you a chunk of plastic. The license comes to you via the "CD Key" or "product key", as they call it. This is the "validation key" that I referred to, and would have come with your original CD...............it is your consumer "proof of purchase"

So I see nothing wrong (PROVIDED THAT YOUR LOCAL LAWS ALLOW IT) in borrowing a friend's CD and making a copy of it.

After all, MS have been paid for the original, and supplying a replacement is hardly a business that they are into.

You would certainly have the moral high ground?

Just a few thoughts

BANNED
    My master hdd is used for just the OS and my slaves have all of my other data so it won't really be like I'm losing anything. I'm just going to have to install starcraft over again and the new copy of windows wasn't that much. And I don't need to buy a drive I have ten of them sitting in my hardware box in my closet.:P