Thread: Resetting a DI-624 Router

Resetting a DI-624 Router

Hello. I am going to reset a DI-624 AirPlus G DWL-G120 router because we have lost the administrative password, and I need to set up port forwarding for some applications. I was wondering if I could screw up anything, what sort of steps I need to take after resetting it, what sort of data it has on it that would be lost, etc.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    By screwing something up do you mean screwing up the firmware? Well, Don't worry about that...

As for the data that will be lost... All of the configurations will be set back to default. So for example. if you set the router to block communication on a specific port, then you will need to go back and close that port again...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Any configuration information whatsoever will be reset. When you reset it, if I remember right, the username will be admin and the password will be blank (and you'll need to use wired ethernet)...

You will then have to step through setting up the WAN connection side, the Wireless (SSID, WEP, channels, etc), the firewall, and on and on and on...

There is a feature in there to backup the configuration once you redo it...then next time you can maybe use it. While you are at it, it probably wouldn't hurt to check on Dlink's site for firmware updates...their stuff (I use it) can be pretty buggy and it usually hurts less to update...
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Tonto,
    I use the DI-624S which is fairly close to what you use. I have had to reset it a few times myself. Here's the lowdown- After you reset it, it's going to be identical as if you just pulled it out of the box again. I'm sure the initial password and username will be the same as mine which is Admin, and leave the password blank (for your initial logon).
    Basically outside of that, you'll have to follow what everyone else said. You'll have the default open-network settings, and pretty much nothing else.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

AOs Resident Troll
    as stated you will reset the configuration to the default settings.

You may want to make note of your ISPs settings, such as username, password, dns, type of service.

dont forget to change the admin password from its default....and disable remote\internet admin...and set a WEP password.

Done...should be no issues.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Is there anywhere I can look to see if I have any configurations set? I can log in as

user:'user'
    pass:''

And look at stuff, I think without restriction, and not change anything. It has this 'Wizard' thing which sets an admin pass, the time zone, the internet connection, and wireless LAN connection.

>> You will then have to step through setting up the WAN connection side, the Wireless (SSID, WEP, channels, etc), the firewall, and on and on and on...

What is the 'WAN connection side'. Does this stuff require any wierd information which will not be provided to me? I don't think I have a user/pass to connect to my ISP, I have a cable connection, but my knowledge of networking is almost nothing.

On this emulator here: http://support.dlink.com/Emulators/di624/ everything looks mostly the same except the WEP encryption keys, MAC address, DHCP client list, WAN IP/Subnet/Default Gateway/DNS, and probably a few other things. Anything I take note of? Will all the computers (4) using the router be able to use the router after I reconfigure it properly?

AOs Resident Troll
    That WAN page is your existing configuration to connect to your ISP....so I would make notes on the settings.

As for your ISPs username and password...you will have to contact them and they can either give it to you...or reset it to a new one.

Also you should have primary and secondary DNS settings in there...make a note and confirm those with your ISP.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer