Data recovery from CD

Thread: Data recovery from CD

StOrM™

Data recovery from CD

Greeting's

Well I have posted this before and I'm sure a search on google will bring me a million software's but I don't have the time to go through every software out there, hence I require help from you guy's. I have about 10 scratch CD's from which I need to recover as much data as possible. I have been told there are multiple file types on the CD's

Well the company has done one good thing this time, I have a new IOMEGA USB CD drive with me.
    All i need is software that will help me recover files. I have Nero 7 Premium and I have used its feature to control drive speed (I've slowed both the drives down). Also since the CD's are from trusted source I've disabled my anti-virus (its symantec).

Most of the CD's are too scratched so I've applied tooth paste on them and then washed them they are getting dried now.

I would really appreciate all the help you guys can. Thanks a lot in advance.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Hi there Byte~

Please check this out:

http://www.roadkil.net/datarecovery.html

If that doesn't help, give me a shout as I have other stuff kicking around that I used to use..........you might need a Win9x box to run it though

EDIT: Sorry mate! I did not read your post carefully enough /my bad

Toothpaste?....................sure that will do the job, as it is a mild abrasive, and your objective is to remove the scratches that are deflecting the laser beam. In optical physics terms they act like a prism.

If that does not work then try metal polish. At first I would try silver polish (jeweller's rouge) and then (if the first does not work) brass polish (Brasso). DO NOT use the clear liquid chemical reaction ones though! you need something that is creamy and does not stink as strong as a week old road kill

Finally, a gentle application of Vaseline (petroleum jelly) will improve results, as it is a diffuser , and the laser will cut through it. Apply it sparingly from the centre to the edge NOT in a rotary or circular fashion

Please remember that these methods only apply to the face down (plain) side of the disc................if the back is damaged then you have physically lost the recording.

StOrM™
    Greeting's

You must spread your AntiPoints around before giving it to nihil again.

Thanks a lot the reply esp. the tips. The software that you have pointed out to does work on Windows XP. But sadly it hasen't done much good. The files that got recovered are either part or almost nothing. There are some files which are recoverd in full (thats good atleat). Anyway if you have any more tools please let me know

Thank you again.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Believe in yourself.

Hey Hey,

From the actual recovery side of things, I can tell you that we had amazing results with Bad Copy Pro while I was working at the college -- http://www.jufsoft.com/badcopy/

Other than that... do you have any used video game stores in the area??? There used to be a couple around that provided CD Refinishing services... usually they're more effective than using toothpaste and attempting your own refinishing job... or even one of those store bought home use round disk resurfacers.. they tend to work fairly well....

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

HT~ has a good point there....................a company that deals second user might have the equipment?

Please remember that you are trying to remove the scratches.................sure the surface will look opaque, but not to a laser

I got one to work after 8 goes with silver polish (yes...............it is not a one shot thing!) then I copied it

Mind you, she was a rather nice looking lady................................

My serious point is that this is a repetitive process...............get some of that silver cream and keep going!

There is also: http://www.jwardell.com/mini/2006/04...-x-vs-aquapel/ I have no experience, but someone suggested it?

I have used "T-Cut"...........you get it from an auto accessories shop.......... it removes the "dead" layers of paint from an automobile..............that works.......... what you need is patience, but if you have damaged backs (the side with the logo) then you are SOL in my opinion

Good luck!

StOrM™
    Greeting's

Thank you both again for helping me out. I would take the CD's down to a game store but they are given to me by the company, so I dont want to take the risk.

Anyway lets see what happens. I have recovered about 40-45% data from 4 of the CD's. Thank you all again.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Believe in yourself.

Good luck mate!

Like I said, it is a repetitive process, make a copy after every go, then buff the disc a bit more

you might try one of the CD Doctors as well.... Here is a link for the expensive version of it:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1115364654420

They make a manual crank one that is like 20 dollars I think that you add their cleaner and crank and it will repolish/finish the cd from the inside out
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here