I have a serious problem here..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have a serious problem here..

StOrM™

I have a serious problem here..

Greeting's

I'm sorry I couldn't get a better Subject for the thread but anyway..

I've windows XP with all the patches. I wanted to uninstall some program's so I opened up Add/Remove but after about 10 minutes of waiting the list didn't get populated... I tried a reboot but still there is nothing that comes up in the list.. it just keeps on showing "please wait while the list is getting populated" thats it. The CPU usage goes upto 50-60 %

For security reasons I have switched off system restore. The last backup I took is a week old and I have got lot of important data in this week. Although I've a separate drive for the system, software, data etc I'm not too worried the problem is I work during the night. I have tutions and job during the day so I cant spend time backing up stuff again then re-installing windows, patching it up.. rebooting couple of million times and all.

I'm googling for the problem right now if anyone has any idea please let me know its urgent... (and its almost 2 in the morning here and the office starts at 7 for me)
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    I think I found what you need check THIS article out. goodluck

edit/ I found this also. In Regedit (Start>Run> REGEDIT), go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and see if there are any keys there.
    BY the way, if Windows was recently reinstalled, this key will have been cleared and there won't be any entries in the Add/Remove programs.

If you want your entries back, you will have to re-install the programs.

Alternatively, see if you have any Uninstall-entries in your Start/Programs/menu-entries. They should still work.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Howdy.

Are you logged in as Administrator? Have you tried doing it in Safe Mode.? Have you tried creating a second Admin account, and logging in with that and then trying it.?

Have you removed the slaved drive and logged in with the Administrator account and see if that has any effect?

just a few ideas i could think off, gee it's 7:30Am and i'm able to think. lol

Hi

This might be a workaround but if you have Ccleaner it also has a "uninstall" feature, also shows more then the regular Add/Remove stuff, you don't have to use it, but just see if it can confirm you do have a listing of programs.
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

StOrM™
    Greeting's

I'm going to do the second Admin account that you front2back suggested. Recently I have changed my Syskey settings and installed truecrypt. Thats it.

Ill get back after trying the new admin account thing. I have tried logging in as an administrator but the same problem.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Believe in yourself.

Also SpyBot Search And Destroy has an option to Add/remove programs.

In the Advanced Mode Select:
    Tools-> Uninstall Info..

StOrM™
    Greeting's

i read dalek's post afterwards and yes Ccleaner does show all the entries then why the problem with Add/Remove ?
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Believe in yourself.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Answer: because your running Windows
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Originally posted here by ByTeWrangler
    Greeting's

i read dalek's post afterwards and yes Ccleaner does show all the entries then why the problem with Add/Remove ?
    Might want to check the Tex's link:

A. The Control Panel Add/Remove Programs applet might stop running if your system is missing some required registry entries. To resolve this problem, you must add the necessary entries to the registry by performing the following steps:

1. Start a command session by going to Start, Run and typing

cmd

2. Enter each of the following commands (click OK to each confirmation that appears):

regsvr32 mshtml.dll

regsvr32 shdocvw.dll -i

regsvr32 shell32.dll -i

3. Close the command session by typing

exit

You should now be able to start the Add/Remove Programs applet. If the applet still won't run, you might be missing a file; to check, use the system file checker (SFC) to check for and replace missing or corrupt files by performing the following steps:

1. Start a command session by going to Start, Run and typing

cmd

2. Enter each of the following commands (the system might prompt you to enter the installation media during this process):

sfc /purgecache

sfc /scannow

3. Restart the computer.
    See if any of that applies...could be file corruption....
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

StOrM™
    Greeting's

I tried Tex's link the second two files registered properly but the first one gave the following error.

mshtml.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. This file can not be registered
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Believe in yourself.