Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secure Delete Command Line Tool For Windows

King Tutorial-ankhamun

Secure Delete Command Line Tool For Windows

Hi All, Got my boot CD almost ready but I've ran into an issue. Anyone know a good secure delete command line tool for Windows, something stand alone all in one exe? I've got some passwords in script files and I want them deleted in such a way that folks can't recover them from slack space.

Check out the cipher.exe that comes standard with Windows XP...I only use the professional version, but im pretty sure it's included in the home version as well...I beleive this is what your looking for...Just google for it for info...
    We are a generation without a middle. We have no great war or depression. Our war is a spiritual one, our depression is our lives. We were all raised to believe that we\'ll all be millionaires and rockstars - But we won\'t.
    And we are slowly learning this fact...And we are VERY pissed off about it!

Originally posted here by Neptune0z
    Check out the cipher.exe that comes standard with Windows XP...I only use the professional version, but im pretty sure it's included in the home version as well...I beleive this is what your looking for...Just google for it for info...
    I agree. It's a handy little tool.

I can confirm that it comes with XP Pro and XP Home Editions.

If you get stuck on which option to use, I'd go for: -

cipher /W:C:\ where C:\ is the drive and path you want to clear the unused space on

Sorry if this "teaches granny to suck eggs"

Cheers

Sean
    If a packet falls in an empty network, - does it make any noise?

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Thanks, but cipher does the seem to have an option for just doing a few files, it only want's to do whole voulmes which takes too long. I'm looking for something like the shred command in Linux.

Sdelete sounds like what you need. I use an application called Eraser but I dont think it meets your requirements as it integrates into windows and when you right click on files it will give you the erase option. Then you can choose between 1 and 35 passes. You can grab it from anywhere as a download.
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    Thanks, I've used Eraser before too. I just needed something I could copy t a box I'm imaging. The the idea is to had a script that uses netdom to join the domain, but I did not want the domain passwords to stay in the script where they may be pulled from slack space.

I tried Sdelete a few years back and was not happy with the results. I was able to recover some or all of the files using Ontrack's file recovery app (it's been awhile). I'm sure there's a newer version of Sdelete, but you may want to test it against your favorite file recovery software.

edit -- I use BCWipe. It's got command line options. But it's also runs a Windows install, which I'm guessing is more than you want. Nonetheless, nice for wiping (no pun intended!).

“Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

i still use BCWipe by Jetico

"Thanks, but cipher does the seem to have an option for just doing a few files, it only want's to do whole voulmes which takes too long." --irongeek

Just as sdewis said...
    "cipher /W:C:\ where C:\ is the drive and path you want to clear the unused space on"

You can securely overwrite the slack space on ntfs/efs for just a single folder by using the /W:'folder' option. There's no need to do it to the entire drive. I haven't checked to see what dependances this utility might require (possibly NTFS.SYS)...But almost any utility you find out there that has this functionality is gonna require something...I suppose you can run it thru a decompiler (ollydbg) to check out what dependancies if any it might require...Sorry if I seem to be beating a dead horse, but I still feel this is what your looking for...
    We are a generation without a middle. We have no great war or depression. Our war is a spiritual one, our depression is our lives. We were all raised to believe that we\'ll all be millionaires and rockstars - But we won\'t.
    And we are slowly learning this fact...And we are VERY pissed off about it!