Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: microsoft removes WGA call back feature

MS getting sued over WGA

I just read that MS is getting sued over WGA - a class action lawsuit has been filed claiming WGA is spyware.

I understand MS need to protect their IP and combat piracy of their software...just dont this WGA was the proper way.

Wow, can they have even more troubles? Recent issues...
    * Keep removing features out of Vista
    * Vista release date moved
    * Bill G. has quit/retired from being chief architect
    * Numerous 0-day vulns being released
    * Class action lawsuit over WGA

Hi ric-o please go to your pharmacist and get some more "sensible pills", you are starting to think like me

I would be interested in any links to the class action suit if you have them?

My personal suspicions are that MS is testing DRM for Vista?............... but the whole thing is very unprofessional?

Hey, there are loads of us out here who would test it for them on non-production boxes? It is almost an insult that we were NOT approached?

Naturally, I fully support Microsoft's desire and right to protect their intellectual property and revenue. I just do not like the way they have been going about it recently, given the problems that they have caused legitimate customers?

I guess I don't blame Bill for wanting to "take the money and run"

Lawsuit

Some articles which describe the lawsuit ric-o mentioned in more detail:
    A computer user is suing Microsoft Corp. over the company's Windows Genuine Advantage anti-piracy tool, alleging that it violates laws against spyware.

The suit by Los Angeles resident Brian Johnson, filed this week in U.S. District Court in Seattle, seeks class-action status for claims that Microsoft didn't adequately disclose details of the tool when it was delivered to PC users through the company's Automatic Update system.

[more]
    And an article from Groklaw can be found here: http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...60629160018237
    The news is a few days old though

The actual complaint that has been filed: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart...sftwgasuit.pdf

I hope Microsoft have to cough up a LOT of money because of this, as they have caused nothing but harm in both the enterprise and home markets.

Thank you J_K9 , I really don't know where Microsoft is heading these days

They must have seen the Sony BMG thing, yet they go and do something as dumb as this?

Like the smilie says, I am totally confused............ has anyone come across any comments?

Originally posted here by nihil
    Thank you J_K9 , I really don't know where Microsoft is heading these days
    Neither do I. As you said, both what they did and the way they tried to rectify it later on by removing the call-back feature and making a feeble excuse were pathetic.. That is just adding insult to injury. They should never have put it there in the first place without our EXPRESS PERMISSION.

That lawsuit has obviously been planned very well, and the guy has a good case - let's hope he gets the chance to screw MS over for this.

Seems to me that MicroSoft have indeed just shot themselves in the foot. And ol Billy the Kid is jumping from the Bandwagon while the coast is clear..

Fronties~ my old mate............ I don't like to have to say this (nothing personal ) but a lot of people on this site probably rely on Microsoft for their livings?

That is bloody frightening mate, when MS start acting like a loose cannon on the deck

Originally posted here by nihil
    Fronties~ my old mate............ I don't like to have to say this (nothing personal ) but a lot of people on this site probably rely on Microsoft for their livings?

That is bloody frightening mate, when MS start acting like a loose cannon on the deck
    Johnno.. I to relied heavily on MicroSoft, until they brought out the whole WGA thing, before that i was led to believe that i had 30+ machines with legit 0s installed, all purchased legally even confirmed with microsoft before it was all installed setup etc.

Then this WGA crap came out and i was then told that all my machines had flagged license keys.

But i brought 30+ legit versions of windows XP.

The installation keys where not left on the side of the boxs so they couldn't have been stolen that way.

When the install was done i would write on the installation disc the computer number that it was installed on then put it back into it's respective box and stored away.

I called microsoft when i discovered that all 30+ machines where now flagged and displaying the your copy of windows is pirated crap.

They had the balls to tell me that i would need to purchase new keys for each box. But why should i off had to when i legally purchased the product in the first place .... ?

So i now have 30+ copy's of XP that are not worth the $200 each that i handed over in the first place..

i've now got all the machines running suse10.0 and am not considering looking back.

So that would explain the above comment that i made.

Microsoft are screwing over there customers here, and by the looks of it they really don't care...

Heya Mate!

and by the looks of it they really don't care...
    That is the really frightening part? what the hell is going on?

30 x $200? That sounds like a worthwhile investment in a solicitor's letter..............

"Dear Bill, please find your product enclosed..............I require my $ 6,000 refunded as your product is patently not fit for purpose, or of merchantable quality"

Take it up with your "Board of Trade", "Trading Standards" and whatever as well

You might even make a few bob out of the press on top?

"Aussie small businessman driven to extinction by Yankee multibillionaire".......... Your oppo Rupert Murdoch is the man for that!!!!! (Tabloids pay better than broadsheets or technical magazines )

I wonder if there is some kind of power struggle going on within MS?

They should never have put it there in the first place without our EXPRESS PERMISSION.
    You clicked the EULA. That pretty much gave them express permission
    to do anything up to and including probe your anal cavity.
    This could have been predicted long ago. It's no secret which way
    the Big Boys want to take us. Who among us persists in believing
    that free software/open source advocates are just a bunch
    of malcontents and crackpots, or that linux is just amateur
    software cooked up by "college kids in their dorm rooms"?

You can lead a horse to water...
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.