Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Free Firewalls

Try Filseclab for a free firewall.

I just loaded it on this W2K box. Failed the nmap test at first, but some config'ing passes it.
    Takes some finagling to stealth the thing, but it's got a nice interface and seems emminently configurable.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

I am going to play dumb here ( not that hard ) but what do you mean by "free"

You said "windows os"

What OS ?

If you have a legit copy of XP and have Sp2 installed, it is on by default. Just learn to configure it! ( though it is not the best, it is adequate in some circumstances. You don't even need Sp2, but before that you had to turn it on.)

If you have an antivirus package many come with firewalls. Although you may have paid for the antivirus package, the firewall may be there, thus in that respect, it is free.

Paralyse, although I am not going to neg you ( although I should, especially based on the fact that you have been around here long enough to know better ) you should have known enough to supply enough info for your situation to elicit a targeted and correct response.

Is this for a stand-alone machine?
    Is this for a machine behind a router?
    Is this for a machine with multiple connection interfaces? ( i.e. ethernet, wireless. etc. )

It makes a difference when recommending something!

Example: AFAIK, the free version of ZA will only bind to one device ( ethernet, modem, etc. ) If you want wireless in addition to, you have to use the pay version.

I can go on, but my idea has been presented.

And yes, this has been presented in the past here on AO.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Hmmm have you tried using the free firewall that XP has got?

It's got a few options to help configure it a little bit, but other then that it's pretty decent, well it's better then having nothing at all..

Comodo looks interesting and is well-reviewed.

edit -- tired this one on a W2K machine. She's fat...14mb download. Looks like Zone Alarm. Passes the nmap test. Stealthed by default.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

I know you said that you wanted a firewall for Windows, but do you have an old computer lying around the house? Even an outdated PC will run Smoothwall. Its a firewall out of the box distro of linux that runs on any PC with two network cards. No linux knowledge is necassary to set it up. You'll probably have to buy an extra NIC, but the software is free. That way, you can take one more process off the computer you work with. If you still want a software firewall, I might re-reccomend what the last few people said about learning how to configure the Windows XP SP2 built-in firewall. It's not the most full-featured security app out there, but it will keep you protected from your average worm, port scan, etc.

-NeuTron

yeah, yeah, i know this may have been posted prior. i think everything has already been posted in one way or another. i would like something like sygate, configurable as all get out and free. but since it's been bought up, looks like no one is going to update it. i don't really trust xp sp2 firewall. not very configurable. on router i'm on dmz, don't want to run a whole computer to run a firewall, the process doesn't slow my machine down all that much, wouldn't be worth the electric bill.

<rant_and_rave>
    a lot of ppl come hear looking for answers, i included. i asked for "good free firewalls for windows os". i didn't ask if it was reposted, i didn't ask for a list from google. all i wanted was your thoughts on "good free firewalls for windows os". i want to know what you've tried, what has worked, and what hasn't worked. if it's been posted before, kindly post the link and be done with it.
    </rant_and_rave>
    do it now and ask for forgiveness later

Paralyse

I accept your "rant" as I do not think that your question is out of place.

Effectively, you are asking what is the best "whatever" TODAY , not last week, last month or last year?

The answer will change on a regular basis, so I feel that your question is quite valid/normal/acceptable or whatever.

Unfortunately, it seems that fully featured firewalls are no longer available for "free".

Perhaps a review of "good value for money" firewalls would be more useful?

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Wow. All of you missed the best free firewall on the planet.

/me points to the wire cutters in the tool box. 100% guaranteed to never let a single unwanted packet get in.

Cheer up fellas.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Hah! --TH13 ,

And there was me thinking of "marzipan" (C4 or PE4 to us Brits) and Remington large pistol primers, and a bit of command wire..................

I always was too teknikal and missed the obvious

But the cutters would have come in handy for the command wire? so I got it part right

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    [rebuttal rant]
    Paralyse,
    I tried being nice about it the first time around but, that obviously had no effect...anyway.
    Maybe AO should remove the "has this thread been posted before?" link on the subject line of a new thread. Maybe tell JUP that they can get rid of the "Similar Threads" section as well. Hell, let's just ditch the archives and let everyone start identical threads so we can answer the same question 16 times.
    It's a pure sign of laziness that you chose to start a new thread before researching archived threads for your answers. I'm not your personal secretary, nor is anyone else here. Why should we go through the work of finding the link to a thread that has already discussed your topic. That's your job. You want information, go look for it. If you search the archives and still don't find an answer, then fine...start your new thread.
    While AO is a great site for answers, and most people here are quite helpful, don't expect us to take up the slack for your laziness. Do the damn research.
    [/end rebuttal rant]
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton