Does anyone know what this is?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know what this is?

Does anyone know what this is?

OK So I got this sent to me in an e-mail, along with a map of my general location. Anyone know what it is and if it is any form of a security risk?

Opened
    Opened 30-Jun-06 at 12:14:55pm (UTC +00:00) - 8mins after sending
    Location xxxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxx, United States
    Opened on (xxx¸xx¸xxx¸xx:xxxxx)
    Language of recipient's PC: en-us (English/United States)
    Browser used by recipient: Moz/4.0 (MSIE 6.0; WinNT 5.0)
    Referrer http://us.....a big web address

Obviously the x's represent acctuall information that I voided out in this copy. Also it was all in boxes like someone just attached a copy of a program report.

AOs Resident Troll
    Well...I guess it may be some kind of Request for Read Reciept...email tracking set up on either your email program or email server???...so when you send an email...it can be tracked as to when received\read???

I know exchange and outlook have those features...

All depends how you send receive mail.....

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

You might take a gander at the full headers of the email. That'll give you the skinny on who sent it.

p.s. -- it's probably what MLF is describing and not much of a security risk.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Ok well I figured it was some form of a read reciept. The only problem is that my read recipts through outlook never give me the location and IP addy of the person I sent the e-mail to.

Basicly this is comming from what I can only assume to be a script kiddy trying to threaten me by showing me that they know my IP and where my computer is located.

Could they have remotely installed a keylogger into my computer and this is the reciept showing it was installed? If so how would I find it in my system? I am running Ad-Aware right now.

Can I change my IP addy?

EDIT: Ad-Aware just finished and showed 17 Tracking Cookies in my system, I quarintined all of them, what should I do now?

AOs Resident Troll
    So..you are using outlook...express???

And you sent an email...did you send an email to the receipient???

I am confused???

How do you send your email...via a pop\ smtp server...at your ISP???

The info blocked out...is it yours..or someone you sent an email to...or someone you dont know???

Why do you think you have a keylogger sending you these things??

Is this your machine...or are you at work\school??

MLF

Ok this is my work computer, but noone else here has access to it but me.

The info that was sent was all of my info, such as location, my IP addy, etc.

To give you some backround. I have never met the sender of the e-mail. It was a buissiness deal between them and me and they haven't held up to their end but are demanding money from me.

So fast forward to today they sent me an e-mail with the info above saying that they are tracking me, like a threat saying I better pay or else they will do something with my computer. I am about 90% sure I am behind a firewall but not being IT here I have no clue.

As for the keylogger I have no reason to believe there is one, however it is probably the easiest way to do something to someone's computer. You can get passwords, copies of e-mails, etc from it so it seems logical to me atleast.

I was using yahoo mail for this not my outlook program,

Any other info you need please ask.

you had mentioned checking the header of the e-mail, is this the part that says who sent it, who it was sent to, what time it was sent ect. Or is it something burried in the code that you can't really fake?

AOs Resident Troll
    well headers can be faked....but if this is a legitimate company...then there will be real headers.

So you are emailing\contacting this company outside of your work email??? Is it work related??

Have you downloaded\installed some kinda evaluation software....that has expired and now they want the money??

As for doing something to your computer...work computer....any computer that isnt theirs...and you do not\have not given them explicit permission to..

.that would be against the law....

IM everso HO.....I would contact your IT department about this.

I am still confused...you are at work using your yahoo account to contact and do business with people...I am not getting it

MLF

Did you ever get emails with attachments from them which you openend?
    If not, There would be a very small chance that you would have a key-logger of trojan on your computer, Atleast not from them.

If this is some kind of theat you can go to the police. Unless you did some illegal business with them :0.

cookies can't do much harm.
    They check out you surfing habbits ( dunno the right word for that).

Yes I was at work conducting personal buissiness using my yahoo account.

As for IT Department, we don't have one. We have a guy that does all of our system management but he is not here full time.

There was no evalustion software, they were to privide me with information I never got. I don't think they are very reputable as they have been hounding me with e-mails but when I respond to them they act like they never got them.

I guess it was just an idiots mistake(mine) now I am trying to evaluate the damage so I can just quite worrying about it, and ignore any future e-mails from them.

As for against the law I realize that, however it is hard to do something to someone when you have no clue as to who they are, and the only thing you know is they are from another country.

Even if they threat you that they know your location, what would they like to do
    Come to you and knock you down? I don't think so.
    As i read your story, the info isn't that important to do that.

good luck with it