Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Removable 160G HD

BANNED
    If you can boot into windows xp do so with the usb drive hooked up.
    Go to the start menu and click run. Type compmgmt.msc and click ok.
    To the left you will see a tree click on disk management.

I could sit here and run through the whole process but there are simple instructions from microsoft here. If you don't understand them just repost.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000/
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

When I do this it only gives me the choice of using NTFS for that partition. Does that mean I have to use something like partition magic?

BANNED
    How to format a basic volume
    To format a partition, logical drive or basic volume:
    1. In the Disk Management window, right-click the partition or logical drive that you want to format (or reformat), and then click Format.
    2. In the Format dialog box, type a name for the volume in the Volume label box. This is an optional step.
    3. Click the file system that you want to use in the File system box. If you want, you can also change the disk allocation unit size, specify whether you want to perform a quick format, or enable file and folder compression on NTFS volumes.
    4. Click OK.
    5. Click OK when you are prompted to format the volume. The format process starts.
    You sure there is only an option for NTFS? I don't know if it matters but what is the make and model of your hard drive so I can check out the man pages for it.

http://westerndigital.com/en/product...17&language=en

3. Click the file system that you want to use in the File system box. If you want, you can also change the disk allocation unit size, specify whether you want to perform a quick format, or enable file and folder compression on NTFS volumes.

This doesn't say anything about being able to change the type
    is there any patch you can download to be able to do this? Or does MS want to quit using fat32?

BANNED
    3. Click the file system that you want to use in the File system box.
    NTFS= NewTechnologyFileSystem
    NTFS and FAT32 are just two different types of files systems.
    A brief explanation of filesystems in windows.

If you right click the partition there should be an option in there to format it as FAT32. If you have already formated it as NTFS you may have to delete the partition and reformat it to get the option.

If you can't get it like that I can tell you how to do it from the command line.

I have tried doing all that and it would only let me choose NTFS, so I looked online for tuts, and they were all command line using fdisk. I tried doing this in a command prompt and it wouldn't let me.
    also, if I try in DOS, the drive won't come up, will it, because its a USB device...just a guess of mine.

BANNED
    RTFM...
    The drive should have come formated as FAT32 from the factory. IF you still need to western digital has a page that tells you how to reformat it in fat32 and has a utility.
    http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....i=&p_topview=1
    They have a page that also explains that:
    # A FAT32 partition cannot be created that is larger than 32GB.
    on this page:
    http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....i=&p_topview=1

muert0 has a point there.

Windows 2000 and XP will not let you create a FAT32 partition greater than 32GB. However, they will support FAT32 partitions up to the maximum that the filesystem will support, provided that it is already there .................... and the theoretical maximum for FAT32 is two terrabytes.

It was origonally fat32, but I formatted it in linux to have the two linux partitions and the fat32, and when I did that, it said it had to reformat the whole drive. So when that happened it wouldn't create the fat32 partition.

I don't need it repartitioned to just fat32 (thats what the program is for), and I don't think the program can just format partitions.

I think that you might have another problem?

Now when I go back in qtparted, It shows two partitions (the linux 15G and the 1G linux swap), but the last 133G comes up as unknown
    15 + 1 + 133 = 149, not 160.