Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spammer using your wireless network - what would you do?

Spammer using your wireless network - what would you do?

What would you do if you discovered a spammer using your home wireless network? Would you call the cops, FBI (or your country's version), a hitman or local thugs?

Would law enforcement care because just one guy?

http://www.spam-blocker-resource.com/

Hmmmm,

I would have thought that the first two things to do would be to secure the network and switch it off when it is not being used.

If you can't get in, you can't use it and if it isn't regularly available it isn't of much interest. Apart from the cost of electricity and the potential fire risk, there is also the question of thunderstorms when you have stuff turned on?

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    ric-o,
    Maybe you could just embarress the guy. Change your SSID to something like "Get Off My WIFI you freeloader". I've suggested this before as more of a psychological defense. It might be enough to make the guy wonder just how you know about him and his activities.
    If all else fails, use WPA encryption, some MAC filtering, etc.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Post his license plate and home address along with this story to blogs all over along with anti spam mailing lists. Invite people all over to snail mail him telling him how much they appreciate his business.

Submit this info to slashdot and digg for publishing... I'm sure those geeks would send him some friendly snail mail... sign him up for free magazines and mailing lists, etc.

A little bit of url modding reveals more pics...

http://www.spam-blocker-resource.com/driving-02.jpg

http://www.spam-blocker-resource.com/home-03.jpg
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

ha ha. Some good responses. BTW, just to be clear: I'm not involved or know these peeps. Just saw this posted on here (Securiteam blog) and thought it interesting.

Nihil: I wondered if the wireless net was open or had WPA/WEP enabled - it's not mentioned anywhere so dont know. If not than shame on the network owner!

Shag and Phish: Yeah...embarrass and get a spam target on HIM is great! Free mags..ha ha.

I may even call the local news station to try to get them to run a story about them. A local news station around me will follow them around and try to interview them about their shoddy business practices. (such as home improvement fraud, or impersonating a well known business person to help his own business, etc.)

I'm sure that the local media would jump on it. Giving that spam and computer security have been hot topics that affect everyone lately.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hmm that first picture of the dude.... his car is in brick tossing range. Am I the only one with bricks laying around the home office?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

C'mon folks,

Damage limitation has to be the first concern?

Supposing the guy had been connecting somewhere and distributing kiddie pr0n?........... guess where the trail would lead back to?

ric-o my guess would be that the network was unsecured.......... at least that seems to be the usual target of wardrivers. They don't seem to want to make life complicated for themselves?

Well, my contribution to the "novel" solutions would be to anonymously contact the blog sites that were spammed with the guy's details. If the guy knows how to use WiFi I would bet he has it himself, so go use his WiFi system if it isn't secured

As the guy was advertising some sort of drugs, I guess that some Federal Agency could set up a suitable "sting"? It is probably true that they would not be terribly interested other than they have an easy "kill" that would require little or no technical resource..........

Like just go to one of the spams and order some gear?

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Hmmmmm ......
    seems to have been popular
    Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.34 Server at www.spam-blocker-resource.com Port 80
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Unfortunatly actually killing them would make you a criminal,(joking) although a jury might let you off with "justified cause"(/joking)

What would I do, get as much info about the spammer as possible, plates are good, mac address is good too. Personally, if it happened more than once on my home network, thats when the greyhat comes out for me. It wouldn't be my fault if I happened to test out new attacks in my controled enviroment would it?