Thread: Rimm´s compatibility

Rimm´s compatibility

Hi all ^^, how´s everyone doing?

I saw this "promotion" the other day on a used material shop near me of a 128Mb Rimm and a 256Mb Rimm and i was very interested since im running the following hardware specs:

PIV 1.5Ghz
    256Mb Ram (64x64x64x64 Rimms)
    ATI 9250 256Mb
    Seagate 5200rpm 40Gb
    Maxtor 7200rpm 120Gb

My doubt is this, can i remove 2 (64x64) and add a 128 Rimm, plus the other 256Mb rimm?

I mean, wouldnt it work like, 64x64=128 + 128 rimm = 256 + 256 rimm = 512 Ram?

If i can do this, please let me know since im no expert.

Thanks in advance, and cheers to you all!

uhm i'm guessing that you mean Ram.? not Rimm?

either way then you can do that, just make sure that the stick of ram are of the right sort for your type of motherboard.

?Usually they have pc133 etc on the stick of ram.
    So just check with the sticks that you already have, and see if you can spot there frequency and then go into the shop and get the ram with the same frequency.

Someone might be able to offer more detail, as i am to tired to really think at the moment yaaawn.
    f2B

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    RIMM RAM

you might want to confirm just exactly what RAM type you DO have installed
    as cheap RAM that doesn't fit is an expensive addition

As you are using 64MB sticks now, I would assume that they are SDRRAM [Synchronous Data Rate RAM]
    and not DDRRAM [Double Data Rate RAM]

so RIMM would NOT fit these

only way I can think of at the moment is to open box, remove a stick and physically examine it

if you haven't had the 'pleasure' of swapping RAM then click here for a quick guide as to the do's and dont's

HTH
    Pax

[edit]
    in answer to your question
    pulling out two 64's and replacing with a single 128 will leave the system [overall] exactly the same
    so MOST people would pull the 4x64's and replace with a couple of sticks of compatable 256 / 512 thereby giving your system a quick speed upgrade
    and giving you 4 sticks of RAM for the stockpile
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

I have 4 - 64 Rimms installed, PC 800Hz, i know that Rimms only work on pairs, that is why i asked, as i already have 64x64x64x64 if i could remove a pair, add a 128 Rimm + 256 Rimm of Ram.

They are all PC 800Hz

Here is a picture:

Cheers

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    if they work as PAIRS
    then you need matched pairs of 128's OR 256's

depends on your budget
    but in RAM terms bigger IS better

[edit]
    my bad
    just seen the reference to RIMM in post#1
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

yes, but logicly wouldnt 64x64= 128 + 128 = 256 (x2 128) though its not 128+128 it perfects 256 right?

Therefore that + 256 = 512, so, that would be working pairs right?

128+128 / 256 + 256 ... right?

Cheers

Hi, I have a similar machine P4/1.7 and it takes RAMBUS PC800 RDRAM.

You need to insert the memory in matched pairs and you need continuity strips in any unused slots.

My machine has 2 x 128 and 2 x 256 strips.

So, you will need to take out 2 of your 64's

I am surprised that you are offered anything other than matched pairs. Perhaps you should check that out with the shop.

If you are offered single RIMMS the implication is that something nasty has happened to its companion

EDIT: You could take a look in your computer or motherboard manual................there is usually a RAM compatibility chart/table. Or try a memory supplier's "finder" software.

There are a very few PCs that will support RAMBUS memory not being inserted in pairs. Others have a specific insertion sequence.

Given that you have matched strips in there already, I would say it is of the type that requires matching, after all you would not put in the second pair of 64's if a 128 would do the job?