Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ics

Ics

Ok here's the question first? Is it possible to share my DSL connection amongst two computers networked through Ethernet cards, i dont have a hub or router....I found some instructions on google and tried myself also, but when i enable ICS on the Internet ready computer the connection drops and i dont have internet on any of the 2 PC's....
    O.G at A.O

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Networked thru ethernet cards? maybe im slow today but im not understand how that works. unless you have a multiport modem? the ethernet cable goes from your pc to the modem if that modem only has 1 ethernet port then only 1 pc can be hooked up to the net correct? unless you cable pc A to the modem and then connect pc B to pc A but idk lol im kinda lost. I have been out of the dsl tech support business for over a week now lol

I also found a link for you but I know you said you already tried something... anyway im a little lost as how it would work with no hub, or multiport modem/router.
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics_xp
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Hey Hey...

We'll call them Modem, PC-A and PC-B...

Modem is connected to PC-A (NIC1).... This is the standard setup...
    PC-A needs a second network card... you connect that network card (NIC2) to PC-B.
    You then tell PC-A to share NIC1 with the device attached to NIC2..

It's a rather simple setup... you'll have to be doing something funky if you keep killing your connection... Here's a step by step from Microsoft on sharing PPPoE (Which is what most DSL is) http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316276

Peace,
    HT

Yeah HTRegz said, thats my setup....

I'll try that now HT and report back...

Thanks
    O.G at A.O

Ok in the link HT gave me, i follow the directions to the point.....when i check "Enable other computers to connect ......." the network connection drops.... and i don't have the "Establish a dial-up connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the Internet check box." check box either.....
    O.G at A.O

Maybe im using the wrong cables....the network is via a cat 5e patch cable, the internet is a cat 5 patch cable....
    O.G at A.O

One small detail. When you connect the two PCs together, use a crossover
    cable, or use a hub or switch. That's probably not what's causing your problem,
    but it's necessary for networking two PCs in any case.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

One small detail. When you connect the two PCs together, use a crssover
    cable, or use a hub or switch. That's probably not what's causing your problem,
    but it's necessary for networking two PCs in any case.
    The network works fine via these cables that i have, i can network drives, share files and everything except ICS, i probably need a crossover cable for ICS ?
    O.G at A.O

why are you telling ICS to control the connection.. it is DSL and the modem is in controle of the show isnt it? the DSL is up all the while the modem is powered, and you control the modem via a web or telnet interface..
    When you say the connection drops.. is communication from both PC's to the modem Dropped or is it just Modem to internet.. in other words can you connect to DSl modems web interface?

How is the DSL modem connected to PC1? USB, ethernet or other?

Also ICS does some wonderful things with the IP addy's the ICS box is 192.168.0.1.. what is the IP addy of the Modem (internal of course)

For the cost of $20 a el-cheapo 4/5 port switch/hub will save your crop from greying hairs..
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

If your network is already working OK, then all you need is to
    get ICS working properly. The ICS PC acts as a NAT router
    and DHCP server for any others you connect. The client PC
    has to be configured to use the other one as a gateway,
    just as if you had a router. Double check your settings
    until you find the problem.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.