Thread: usb flash drive question

usb flash drive question

hi,
    sorry probably not hardware question.
    i have usb flash drive which i keep in my shirt pocket during the day. At the same pocket is mine mobile phone.
    Is there any problem with data to be affected on flash drive cos of mobile interference?
    (i have not put any data on if before i get some clear answers)
    thnks

Just Another Geek
    AFAIK your data is safe...

Why don't you try it with bogus data?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I have certainly never heard of such a thing, and am positive that it won't happen if the phone is working properly, and probably not at all.

Defective electronics can cause problems with magnetic media such as credit cards, floppies, hard drives and tapes. A mobile phone is so low powered I do not think that it presents the same risk as a desk fan or monitor running off mains power (I have seen defective ones of those scramble data, on the media I have mentioned)

AFAIK a flash drive is a special sort of EEPROM chip, and should not be affected by weak electromagnetic fields or x-rays. After all, we don't hear of BIOSES getting flashed or digital cameras getting scrambled do we?

If anything were to get messed up it would be the flash memory in the mobile phone itself, would it not?

If you are really concerned, you might get one of those belt holsters for the phone

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    If you are worried put them in different pockets. I haven't heard of this being a problem but I wouldn't be surprised if keeping a usb drive in very close proximity to a mobile couls cause problems.

It's not quite the same as as bios, you bios chip will generally be within a metal case which acts to shield it from em rad.

You could buy an aluminium cased usb drive, that should provide some protection but my first suggestion should be sufficient.

ty will try to put some data and will post results in couple days
    Usb drive had aluminium protection.Was just courious.
    Thnaks for replies.

On another note, depending on the amount of pocket lint, you may be affecting the longevity of the contact points for the USB drive.

I used to carry around a 32MB (whopping size, I know) in my front pocket on my keychain. Eventually there was crud build-up from being there.

I was able to temporarily get the connectivity back by soaking the whole USB drive in a shotglass full of rubbing alcohol.

I'm dead serious. I've used rubbing alcohol on a number of electronics without ill effect. Including cleaning the paths on a TV remote circuit board.

If yours goes that route, try that and make sure the drive is dried out before plugging it in.

If you're still in doubt, see the Wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol
    Misery is not my friend, but I\'ll break before I bend.

AOs Resident Troll
    Well those USB drives are pretty durable I must say...

I have washed and dried (gas dryer) mine several times..........

As long as it is totally dried out before plugging back in ...I think your pretty safe

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Just Another Geek
    If USB flash drives are a problem in close proximity to mobile phones the 1GB SD card (uses the same flash technology) inside my phone would have been wiped by now..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.