Thread: Question about apps...

Question about apps...

I've got a client who called me about his PC running slow since it came back from a DVD replacement at a major retailer (who shall remain unnamed). As he described the problem, it's obvious that WinAntiVirus 2006 is the problem. He's thinks the retailer's repair guys screwed it up, though I'm not sure. But I'd like to be sure, thus my question:

Is there any way of telling when a rogue app (or any app for that matter) got installed on a PC? In my experience, time stamps aren't always indicative of when an app went into a PC. Would the application log indicate when something like WinAntiVirus got installed?

Thanks...
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Greeting's

If the system restore is on that will ndicate all the detail you need to know of when an application got installed.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Well, WinAntivirus isn't something that I would install

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

You don't say what OS he is running or what other interactive security products are there. For example, if he has XP SP2 is the firewall activated?

As a general rule you should not run more than one interactive AV, Firewall and pop-up stopper.

I do not see how replacing a DVD drive could affect a security application. All you would do is install a driver, as the DVD management tools should already be there?

I would get rid of WinAntivirus

Oh yeah, WinAV is out the door when I get there. He's running XP (Home?) with SP 1 or 2. I'll shake the whole thing down and run any needed updates. You know, the SOB (standard operating bullscheiss).

This guy asked me to replace his DVD a few weeks back and I begged off, telling him to take it into a store for replacement. All I know is he calls me last night, telling me it hasn't been right since it came back and could I come look at it. He said something called WinAV kept giving him pop-ups. He doesn't recall installing WinAV, and why would he? Apps like that got a way of sneakin' in...it's an ActiveX/IE thing you know.

Just Another Geek
    I've worked at a service center for years.. I've heard it a million times before....

"After I got my machine back, this or that doesn't work anymore"

Yeah, right.. That $h1t never worked.. So don't blame me

"After I got my machine back it runs really slow"

Yeah right, there is such a thing as perception... They "think" it's slower and blame you...

It is possible though but any respectable service center wouldn't install ad- or spyware.. I'm sure of that.. Heck, they probably scanned it with all sorts of tools just to make sure it's clean.. At least that's what we did..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Yeah, SirDice, I hear it all the time. I doubt it went in at the shop.

I had the guy on Firefox for a browser, but he switched back to IE. Pretty sure WinAV installs via ActiveX/IE combo (like SpyFalcon). Probably picked it up via a gambling site (they're the worst anymore).

I just wanna know so I can show him when it went in.