Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: high tech crime monitoring..

bagggi I should have thought of this earlier:

http://www.tsi.org.uk/

Over here the Trading Standards Institute deals with piracy and actually employs "scambuster" investigators.

You will find a link to their recruitment site at the link above.

With all the e-commerce going on, they will be moving more into the net and IT?

this looks like it

They carry out undercover operations to discover fraud and illegal trade practices. They may prosecute offenders for breaches of consumer law. This will involve them investigating criminal offences and giving evidence in court.

bookmarking them. will go through the fine print.

cheers
    you are entering the vicinity of an area adjecent to the location.

Too bad you don't live in the States, bagggi. Was told by a friend w/ Homeland Security a couple of years back the FBI was hiring guys like us.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

oh, any place is good as long as they speak english there.

dont want to go to a new place and learn a whole new language. not that there is any thing wrong with them. its just that there comes a time when one's brain refuses to register new words into memory.

FBI becomes a little too far fetched for someone just getting into it.

alright....now the topic's opening up

we have this firm here dealing with all this
    Americans have FBI dealing there
    am sure Austrailians have a body to deal with it too (as they were the ones who shut down kaaza)

Americans like to make a show of it all. they catch someone there, its all in the news
    British,Canadians,Europeans, Austrailians catch someone. it is heard once and then it vanishes

But then again like The Duck said they want a police background or atleast a police check.
    this is usually done after staying in the country for more than 6 months. obviously they wont give the job without a proper police varification

A lot of stuff vanishes here, too...
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Yes, different countries have different bodies handling stuff. The problem is they don't seem to communicate with eachother as much as they ought to.

Our Trading Standards Inspectors are effectively civil servants and work alongside our police and Revenue and Customs (British version of the IRS).

I would think that they would be the easiest route into the field, as you won't have to do the PC Plod bit first.

You could then use the experience to get into the police as a civilian technician or into private industry.

I think that the reason there is more fuss in the US is that a lot more of these areas come under criminal law?

i hope that they will tell me if i need to do any course and where to do it from.

AFAIK there are actually Trading Standards courses and qualifications. I know that they run courses for the commercial sector, as well as local government and their own people so that should not be a problem

Originally posted here by nihil
    Here is a link to where you can report some illegal stuff:

http://www.iwf.org.uk/

While I agree with their motives, when I looked at their website I was informed that they were responsible for "211 potentialy illegal newsgroups supressed from UK ISP networks". If these newsgroups were only potentially illegal, why did they get shut down. That sounds too much along the lines of "we didn't think they should be talking about that kind of thing, so we shut them down' for my liking. While I agree that some things really need to be shut down, I believe that it should be determined to be illegal before they are forced down. These guys talk about things being shut down for being "potentialy illegal" for my liking.
    If everything looks perfect, then there is something you don\'t know

If these newsgroups were only potentially illegal, why did they get shut down.
    From the way the organisation works I would have thought because the ISP/Host determined that its TOS/AUP was being violated. All the IWF do is report stuff.

I would guess they were file swapping and warez sites?