Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modem info request for monitoring

Modem info request for monitoring

Hello all, I have been looking at monitoring my daughters phone calls and using my pc as a voice mail system. Unfortunately the pcmcia modem I have clicks like an old rotary phone when it picks up the line if someone is on it, one its anoying two if I am monitoring my teenagers calls it suredly alerts her that something is up. Anyone have a recommendation or a source for any pcmcia/usb/serial modem that has a silent line pickup? I worked with the software provider that Im using for this purpose and they indicate its a hardware thing not a software thing and that Id need to find a modem that is built to be quiet or just happens to be. Any recommentations or sources is appreciated!

Thanks
    Stryker_68

additionally if the modem click is not a fixable issue can anyone recommend a method/service or software to accomplish the same task? Monitoring my own homes phone calls, even if both my wife and I arent home?

Thanks
    Stryker_68

A quick search on google for phone line recording threw up this site amongst others.
    One thing I would ask is is your daughter aware her calls are being recorded? While I am not sure on the legality if she is a minor and you are her guardian; there is a major trust issue at stake. If she doesn't know about this and finds out, she is unlikely to trust you for a very long time.
    I'm sure you have your reasons for doing this, but maybe it would have a slightly better outcome in the longrun if you sat down and talked to your daughter about her worries rather than spying on her conversations.

Sorry if I am way off the mark here, or you feel I have overstepped the limits, but I know that if I was to find out I was being listened in on by anybody I would be majorly pissed off with them. I hope this helps and good luck.
    If everything looks perfect, then there is something you don\'t know

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Im gonna risk a neg here. Sorry I know nothing of what your trying to do here. I just wanted to post and ask why you are trying to monitor your daughter's calls? Now to be fair you are the parent and you can do whatever you please but personally I think its a hell of alot easier just to communicate what you want/expect to your daughter rather than spying on her. It seems to me that would just create distrust/fear with you and her. anyway goodluck. I say try Google.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

if you put a capacitor in series in the phone line (i would use the red ring side) going to the modem it can be on all the time without interferring with normal phone service. it will only allow modulations in current to 'pass' threw allowing the phone to be hung up dialed and recorded and never show a resistance that would keep a call from ending. in a case like this though i would hook it up to an amp and a sound activated recording device put. a diode accross the line past the capacitor rated to pass current abouve 8 volts so the 45 volt ring doesnt blow-up you amp.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Well, you are not talking rocket science here. That technology is quite old, as was not designed for the purpose. They are meant to talk to other modems, and I would expect to hear some handshake noises if they connect to a line being used for voice? They don't know that there is not another modem at the other end.

I am not sure about the "clicking" though; over here that is what you get when you have a crossed line.

You certainly need to consider the legal implications, as a telephone conversation is a two way thing and you will certainly NOT have the authority to record one of the parties.

Over here for example you are legally obliged to inform people if you are recording their telephone conversations.

Originally posted here by nihil
    You certainly need to consider the legal implications, as a telephone conversation is a two way thing and you will certainly NOT have the authority to record one of the parties.

Over here for example you are legally obliged to inform people if you are recording their telephone conversations.
    Dont wanna start a legal debate here but I suspect Stryker_68 is simply using these recordings to check on their daughter and not try to prosecute someone in court.

/disclaimer
    I am not a lawyer....but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.
    (damn, I'm in one of those happy moods without the aid of al-key-hol)
    /disclaimer

Hey ric-o

Dont wanna start a legal debate here but I suspect Stryker_68 is simply using these recordings to check on their daughter and not try to prosecute someone in court.
    My concern was that the prosecution would be in the other direction from one of her friend's parents having informed the authorities? It would not matter over here if the other person was a minor, the very activity is illegal of itself unless you give a warning

Nihil has a good point, but I dont beleive any jury would convict a parent monitoring their childs calls. If the child is contacting an adult with the ability to prosacute, isnt it the right of the parent to know what is being said to their child?

while i agree with the texan, trust should be the number one consideration. whoever we all know kids that can't be trusted because of peer presure or 'whatever'. kids with good upbringing can still go astray.

Its a parents duty to be sure that his/her child is not going to ruin their lives. there is more involved than just the childs welfare a bad move by a kid can put the whole family in ruin. if he has 'good' reason to believe he is being lied to such as catching her in a lie than monitoring is the proper thing to do.

If your wrong in your belief and get caught your creating one heck of a family problem. if you have caught her in a lie you should tell her your watching all her moves.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”