Thread: Where can I find a hub? (need collision domains)

Where can I find a hub? (need collision domains)

Hello,
    I am looking to create some collision domains for the purposes of packet sniffing my own network and I have been trying to find an honest too goodness hub for this purpose. However no one carries such an antiquated and worthless piece of networking equipment any more and I have been unable to find a computer junk dealer that has one. I know that I am not the only person to have ever looked into doing something like this does anyone have any ideas where I might find one or alternatives?

Thanks in advance.
    \"Hardware: the parts of a computer that can be kicked.\"
    -Jeff Pesis

I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

A hub doesn't create collision domains......only a switch or a router can do this.....I may have misunderstood your post though!

rcgreen I actually did purchase the EN104 and despite it being advertised as a hub it does require power and in fact is a switch just one that does not have many ports. I have also glanced at Ebay and the few things that are advertised as a hub look more like a switch to me.
    I am sorry that I did not phrase my original post properly. I don't need to create more collision domains and further segment my network I need to maintain the existing collision domains while attaching additional interfaces for the purpose of packet sniffing. The reason why I would like to do this is that I am configuring my own firewall and the ability to packet sniff on either side of the firewall would be nice for further analysis of the network traffic when playing around with the different configurations. I need to become more proficient with Ethereal and the best way of doing this in my mind is to have a practical application.
    I was talking to an uncle of mine who may have a hub laying around his place. If so that will be one down now only one to go.
    -Jeff Pesis

I need to become more proficient with Ethereal and the best way of doing this in my mind is to have a practical application.
    Well here ya go - make your first hub. Just get some Cat 5, RJ45's, etc. You can be as creative or as simple as you want and have some fun along the way.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

Just get some Cat 5, RJ45's, etc. You can be as creative or as simple as you want and have some fun along the way.
    Mine is:

Standard cat5 patch lead.. teminated to a Rj45 wall socket (the good ol 3 outlet type)
    the data to network socket is the center.. the RX and TX pairs are run to the outside sockets and wired to ONLY the RX terminals..
    Done..
    Patch lead from center to network.. this is straight through..
    the 2 outer leads require patchlead to your sniffing box.. best here is a *nix OS.. windows dosen't like looking at a half baked lan connection..
    now knock yourself out..
    (I am trying to find a web addy where i first saw this idea.. they have pretty pix and all)
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hey Hey

Nokia:
    A hub doesn't create collision domains......only a switch or a router can do this.....I may have misunderstood your post though!
    A switch creates collision domains meaning that it creates physical sections where collisions can't occur... On a hub everyone can talk at the same time and a collision can occur... So technically when he said he needs a collision domain it's correct... He needs a single domain where collisions will occur... a device that can be sniffed easily... Although with ettercap a switch can be sniffed just as easily as a hub..

all_smiles:
    rcgreen I actually did purchase the EN104 and despite it being advertised as a hub it does require power and in fact is a switch just one that does not have many ports. I have also glanced at Ebay and the few things that are advertised as a hub look more like a switch to me.
    I am sorry that I did not phrase my original post properly. I don't need to create more collision domains and further segment my network I need to maintain the existing collision domains while attaching additional interfaces for the purpose of packet sniffing. The reason why I would like to do this is that I am configuring my own firewall and the ability to packet sniff on either side of the firewall would be nice for further analysis of the network traffic when playing around with the different configurations. I need to become more proficient with Ethereal and the best way of doing this in my mind is to have a practical application.
    I was talking to an uncle of mine who may have a hub laying around his place. If so that will be one down now only one to go.
    There are a number of things wrong with this...

A) There are customer reviews all over regarding the EN104 being a Hub
    B) Both hubs and switches require power.. and they both have the same number of ports ranging from 4 to 48+. You really can't tell by looking if a device is a hub or switch unless it has the word hub or switch printed on it..

If you need to become more profficient with Ethereal (actually Wireshark now) why don't you just sniff traffic on your own machine and do packet disection with that.. there's plenty of traffic going in and out of your machine without need to sniff the entire network...

Peace,
    HT

Well what the heck!!! I had thought I had been sniffing with that EN104 a couple of months ago and it was switching on me and now i hook it up and it is not. My bad looks like I had the answer sitting in the back of my closet. Thanks for pointing out the error in my ways.
    In regards to why I am going to all of this trouble to have something to sniff it is mostly that I am bored and wanted to try something different. I have been sniffing the traffic from my PC however this looks like more fun and will make a good learning tool. I will have to give ettercap a try sometime. I have been using ethereal since that is what we have at my current job.

Thanks for all of the help!!!
    -Jeff Pesis