bye bye iPods..
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: bye bye iPods..

bye bye iPods..

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/0....ap/index.html

welp... looks like my iPod is going to suck now.

Hey Hey,

I really don't think Microsoft will slice into iPods market too badly... When it gets right down to it how many iPod owners actually buy their stuff from iTunes Store.. and it sounds like this wireless purchasing system is really the only new feature... I don't think anyone is gong to be toppling iPod anytime soon.

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

I don't know, if some MP3 player firm could get bluetooth capabilities, then that would make a damn good product.

I mean, really, who wouldn't want a wireless MP3 player? Just have to be sure that the frequencies work right so you don't get others' music (of course, I assume bluetooth works akin to the old-school radios based off of my limited knowledge of the thing).

But it's going to use microsoft realtime player; the thing would be terrible for music (or anything audio)! It would have to have a lot of damn good features to beat the I-pod.
    "The Texan turned out to be good-natured, generous and likeable. In three days no one could stand him." Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.

Buddies? I have no buddies...

Give the BSD daemon some love (proud FreeBSD user)

all m$ needs to do to topple the iPod market is integrate their purchasing system for songs into the next windows os. then.. no more iPod competition.

Originally posted here by Arkimedes
    I don't know, if some MP3 player firm could get bluetooth capabilities, then that would make a damn good product.

I mean, really, who wouldn't want a wireless MP3 player? Just have to be sure that the frequencies work right so you don't get others' music (of course, I assume bluetooth works akin to the old-school radios based off of my limited knowledge of the thing).

But it's going to use microsoft realtime player; the thing would be terrible for music (or anything audio)! It would have to have a lot of damn good features to beat the I-pod.
    Why would an MP3 Player with bluetooth capabilities be a damn good thing? First off... there's no mention of it using bluetooth and given the limited range of bluetooth, I highly doubt that's the wireless that they're talking about. I wouldn't want an MP3 Player with bluetooth... With things like Drive-By Spam and Drive-By Viruses available, the last thing I want is devices with bluetooth...

Now for a wireless MP3 player... Once again you are assuming bluetooth... This wouldn't be able to download from any service and would still require a PC... To download from a service without a computer would require WiFi (which means you'd still need a wireless connection (router, EVDO (perhaps, access point) or it would need a connection into the cell towers which would cost money.. Which means I now have to pay for the player, the songs and access to the songs... really doesn't seem like a good deal...

Now you're talking about Microsoft Realtime Player.... something I've never heard of... I'm assuming you're getting your data from somewhere.. but it definately wasn't that article and the details haven't actually be released to the public yet... so would you care to inform us as to where you are getting your details??

er0k: How will that topple iPod... they claim their music player won't require a computer to obtain it's music... Also it's still the same I download iTunes and buy my songs.. .You really think one software download is going to change peoples minds??

Maybe it's just me... but the intelligence level of AO seems to be dropping of late... there are two requests on the main page for cracking passwords... one a direct request for software and another which reads to me like an attempt at social engineering and nothing else... I haven't posted much lately... and I wonder why... this is getting worse and worse... the IT discussions have all but vanished.... so much for Security.... we're officially a support and general chat site.

/me waits for the teenage girls to start talking to their friends here.

Peace,
    HT
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

are you seriously jumping my ass for posting a somewhat technically directed post in gcc? or was that not directed at me? if so, take it easy there ht..

As for its chance to topple the iPod, I believe that the iPod is merely a trend/fad. Your basically an outcast on college campuses if you don't have one in your ear, and there have been fully functional, free mp3 players forever. Its just the look and current trend of the iPod that makes it a success. What i'm getting at is that when M$ dives into a market of something, they typically rape it. For instance, the software world, the xbox, etc.

Originally posted here by er0k
    are you seriously jumping my ass for posting a somewhat technically directed post in gcc? or was that not directed at me? if so, take it easy there ht..

As for its chance to topple the iPod, I believe that the iPod is merely a trend/fad. Your basically an outcast on college campuses if you don't have one in your ear, and there have been fully functional, free mp3 players forever. Its just the look and current trend of the iPod that makes it a success. What i'm getting at is that when M$ dives into a market of something, they typically rape it. For instance, the software world, the xbox, etc.
    I was jumping on posts in general.... in this case primarily Arkimedes who seems to be pulling stuff out of his ass...

As for iPod being a trend/fad.... That's only about half true... I'd be dead without my iPod... I use it constantly... I used a Discman for years and it just doesn't hold up anymore... You can't call portable music a fad (btw not sure where your free mp3 players come in... every mp3 player costs money.. at least in the context we're talking (hardware.. not just a piece of software for your current pc).. Walksman, Discman, MP3 players.. portable music has been popular for ages... Why is iPod succeeding.... The best design... ease of use... size... capacity and price... compare it with the alternatives... they don't hold up... so iPod gets some competition... I don't think that means the end of iPod by any means...

As for MS's endevours in other areas always being a raping of the market..

Software: If a nobody (such as Microsoft 20 years ago) stole design ideas today (as Microsoft did from Apple) it wouldn't fly... Microsoft has some good software... but they don't own the Software market.. maybe the operating system... but slowly year by year their hold has been loosened... it's small wins.. but a win is a win...

XBox: Microsoft didn't earn money off the XBox until 2005 and that was only because of Game sales (Halo 2 for example)... It's a known fact that Microsoft took a loss on the X Box (Over 1 Billion Dollars is the number I've heard).... As for XBox raping the market... I disagree.... Playstation is much more popular among people I know... Playstation games are generally sold out when I try to find them before their X-Box equivalents.. And although everyone claims Nintendo died... the Gamecube is very popular among people with smaller children and classic gaming enthusiasts... it still has all the classic titles and it has the educational and young children games... the games that lack the goor... XBox has a section of the market but they by no means own it... With this next generation of Consoles... although they were out the door first... they are going to fail miserably against the competition...

Peace,
    HT

Originally posted here by HTRegz
    I was jumping on posts in general.... in this case primarily Arkimedes who seems to be pulling stuff out of his ass...

As for iPod being a trend/fad.... That's only about half true... I'd be dead without my iPod... I use it constantly... I used a Discman for years and it just doesn't hold up anymore... You can't call portable music a fad (btw not sure where your free mp3 players come in... every mp3 player costs money.. at least in the context we're talking (hardware.. not just a piece of software for your current pc).. Walksman, Discman, MP3 players.. portable music has been popular for ages... Why is iPod succeeding.... The best design... ease of use... size... capacity and price... compare it with the alternatives... they don't hold up... so iPod gets some competition... I don't think that means the end of iPod by any means...

As for MS's endevours in other areas always being a raping of the market..

Software: If a nobody (such as Microsoft 20 years ago) stole design ideas today (as Microsoft did from Apple) it wouldn't fly... Microsoft has some good software... but they don't own the Software market.. maybe the operating system... but slowly year by year their hold has been loosened... it's small wins.. but a win is a win...

XBox: Microsoft didn't earn money off the XBox until 2005 and that was only because of Game sales (Halo 2 for example)... It's a known fact that Microsoft took a loss on the X Box (Over 1 Billion Dollars is the number I've heard).... As for XBox raping the market... I disagree.... Playstation is much more popular among people I know... Playstation games are generally sold out when I try to find them before their X-Box equivalents.. And although everyone claims Nintendo died... the Gamecube is very popular among people with smaller children and classic gaming enthusiasts... it still has all the classic titles and it has the educational and young children games... the games that lack the goor... XBox has a section of the market but they by no means own it... With this next generation of Consoles... although they were out the door first... they are going to fail miserably against the competition...

Peace,
    HT
    As far as the posts go, AO wouldn't have near the members/participation if it wasn't for the general chat or whatever you referred to it as. Secondly, there are plenty of security discussions that go on, we might be in a bit of a slump, but the main page holds a decent amount of discussion oppurtunities related to security. If it was entirely security and thats it, without the friendships, the humor, the anger, the arguments about stupid ****, etc, this site would be just as boring as any other forum related to technology of any sort. You think JupM could have built this kind of site as it is now? no. the only thing that keeps it going is people like me and you HT, that care about what AO is and what it stands for, our history here, and its perpetuation throughout the net. We didn't stick around here soley for the security discussion and you know that as well as i do. it might be your recent mod appointment that might sway your opinion somehow, which is understandable, publicly, anyway, but other than that without the freelance discussion about random ****, as well as the intelligent discussion that goes about security, etc. we wouldn't have near the community we do. We either fight about too much boring security **** going on or we fight about too much random discussion, its cyclical and it constantly happens. Someone will post something bitching about either antipoints or on e of the former examples, we always have to have something to bitch about. In case you don't remember, this site, back when it was in its actual prime, wasn't "Oh my god if we don't talk about security we might as well close this bitch down," it was simply a ****ing website whose main goal was security but thats not what held its foundation up, not even close. The site might have experienced a spell to where it was "strictly security" and everyone was all nazi about it, but thats not what keeps this thing running (i know i repeat myself). You needn't bitch about the site lacking security discussion, just as little as you should about it lacking community type friendship discussion. Hopefully you understand what i mean by all that, if not I can clarify.

Second: the iPod is a ****ing fad. Its the same damn thing as the newest line of clothing. Paris Hilton pops out on the street with an iPod and sure enough half of america has to have one. What i meant by "free" is that the iPod makes it much more difficult for the average person to put mp3's they've downloaded off of Limewire or whatever free/illegal p2p they use onto their mp3 player. Its cute little sleak design, fancy commericals and financial/trendy purportive backup are what made it popular. Its abilities are shitty, the damn thing has like 5 functions, its terrible in comparison to various pda's that cost approx. the same amount as the iPod, that have internet connections, keyboards, etc. The thing is dude, is marketing and design, fluctuation of trends/fads. You make my point exactly by saying "i can't live without my iPod." Whats different with that little piece of **** than any other mp3 player? nothing. they're all easy to use, apple just hit the jackpot with design of the device, marketing capabilities, and a little luck of the draw with it becoming a fashionable icon, just like kroc shoes, etc.

Further, never said M$ owns the software market, i said they raped it, and they did it at the right time. Various OS's were coming out and Bill gates, etc knew that people would have to choose their favourite, blah blah blah. The only reason M$ won was because their solitaire game was easier to execute than Apple's, we all know that. M$ raped the software market in the beginning and their success was limited, but look where they are today. Which brings me to my next point:

Xbox live. Xbox 360. Should be enough said. Playstation, nintendo, etc. can't hold a ****ing candle to either one of those. not even close. i mean, its sad for them to even consider competing with those. Sure you've got your loyal playstation friends that play on their inferior console, whatev. Simply, you can't tell me that M$ isn't owning in the video game market "RIGHT NOW." How long were 360's sold out? Couldn't get one in Oklahoma for three months after Christmas unless i bought one on ebay for $500-$600? Playstation 2 do that? hahahahhahaha. Not even close. Quite possibly the PS3 or the new nintendo might do that, quite possibly. But that remains to be seen, so both of our arguments validity for that query are still pending.

As for the nintendo.. they don't have a chance, you were seriously hanging on a limb for that one. I could name 20 people that have BOTH an Xbox/Xbox360 AND a PS2 before a name a single one that has a nintendo. Not to disrespect, but you ARE in Canada. It's a completley different market up there, so I don't know how it works, but here, where most of the money in this world is spent/made, lately, M$ is ruling. As for how it will do with its handheld MP3 players, i'd have to put my money on history, and that history is based on the richest corporation in the entire world, and that corporation can go to hell for all im concerned, but that same corporation, when it dives into things, it sticks with it, and makes money. It invents and steals ideas at the same time, but it ends up making money.

Yet again, look at Windows success versus any other piece of software ever pounded into a compiler. Look at the current Xbox 360/XBOX Live sales. And most of all, look at M$'s ability to improvise and capitalise, as that is what they do best, and history tells that they always come out on top.

Apple stands no chance whether they make iPods or underwear. If M$ gets serious about dominating that market? hahaha. no chance.

Originally posted here by er0k

Second: the iPod is a ****ing fad. Its the same damn thing as the newest line of clothing. Paris Hilton pops out on the street with an iPod and sure enough half of america has to have one.
    It sounds to me like you're saying that America is nothing but mindless automatons... Music players in general are not a fad... tell me that they are a 30 year fad... I'd love to hear that... and if music players aren't.. then the iPod isn't as it is the best in the music playing market.

What i meant by "free" is that the iPod makes it much more difficult for the average person to put mp3's they've downloaded off of Limewire or whatever free/illegal p2p they use onto their mp3 player.
    So let's see.... You download a song... you drag it from anywhere on your PC onto the library... and then add it to your iPod playlist.... My gf does it... My 13 year old sister does it... If you find it difficult you should find yourself a new profession/hobby because PCs isn't for you...

Its cute little sleak design, fancy commericals and financial/trendy purportive backup are what made it popular.
    I'd say that more than 50% of the TV I watch is American television... and between the American and Canadian programming I've seen maybe 4 iPod commercials (not 4 different ones but iPod commercials airing 4 times)... Sleak designs sell everything... That is a benefit... That's what sells cars... Hell go to some PC sites.. that's what sells computers.... People want the cute little one.. the one that will take up the least space... the one with lights... Design makes everything popular.. so I don't see how that helps your cause... "financial/trendy purportive backup"... I'm guessing you're trying to sound intelligent there to make up for the rest of your argument.

Its abilities are shitty, the damn thing has like 5 functions
    Let's see.. my iPod plays my mp3s... gives me small games that serve as distractions when on the Subway, Let's me drop my notes on it so I can read them.. stores my contact list so I have a portable phone book... Hell... I can get a version of Linux for it and play NES games on it if I want.... so how are the abilities shitty... it's primary function is to play music... it does that quite well and the click wheel is better than the alternative... it just has plenty of little additional perks..
    , its terrible in comparison to various pda's that cost approx. the same amount as the iPod, that have internet connections, keyboards, etc.
    That's what I want is a PDA.... when you get a PDA you lose the equivalent ability... now let's consider this.. When was the last time you saw a 60GB PDA.. hell when was the last time you saw a 1GB PDA.. you can buy memory cards.. but usually the biggest is about 4GB... that doesn't compare to iPod capacity... also music playing is a secondary purpose... you have to click and move all over.. it's not easy and convenient.. as for the keyboard.. well that'd just be one more ridiculous item I'd have to carry around.

The thing is dude, is marketing and design, fluctuation of trends/fads. You make my point exactly by saying "i can't live without my iPod." Whats different with that little piece of **** than any other mp3 player? nothing. they're all easy to use
    iPod beat everyone to market on size, capabilities and a number of other things... they don't all have the same functionality... iPod has superior functionality.. especially when you consider the size of the newer ones and the fact that they have video playback... as for living without it... any Music device would do.. but my preference is to have the best.. and iPod is the best.

apple just hit the jackpot with design of the device, marketing capabilities, and a little luck of the draw with it becoming a fashionable icon, just like kroc shoes, etc.
    Apple made the best product that people couldn't compare to.... That's still how it stands.... I'm not sure what your smoking.. but that's the truth.

Further, never said M$ owns the software market, i said they raped it, and they did it at the right time. Various OS's were coming out and Bill gates, etc knew that people would have to choose their favourite, blah blah blah. The only reason M$ won was because their solitaire game was easier to execute than Apple's, we all know that. M$ raped the software market in the beginning and their success was limited, but look where they are today. Which brings me to my next point:
    MS won because they stole all of Apple's innovative ideas.. then they stole all of Apple's code when they couldn't make it work... then when they learned of Apple's launch date they pushed their OS out just to beat Apple.. they were deceptive and coniving..

Xbox live. Xbox 360. Should be enough said. Playstation, nintendo, etc. can't hold a ****ing candle to either one of those. not even close. i mean, its sad for them to even consider competing with those. Sure you've got your loyal playstation friends that play on their inferior console, whatev. Simply, you can't tell me that M$ isn't owning in the video game market "RIGHT NOW." How long were 360's sold out? Couldn't get one in Oklahoma for three months after Christmas unless i bought one on ebay for $500-$600? Playstation 2 do that? hahahahhahaha. Not even close. Quite possibly the PS3 or the new nintendo might do that, quite possibly. But that remains to be seen, so both of our arguments validity for that query are still pending.
    Let's see... Xbox live vs a free online service... Xbox 360 is next gen.. PS3 and the Wii will both beat it... As for you saying they can't hold a candle to those... that's because they weren't designed to compete against the XBox360... That's like the saying the atari can't hold a candle to the nintendo64... it's comparing apples and oranges.. At this very moment they have the top selling system.. because they have the only new system...That makes sense.... When it's the only new system on the market of course you'd own it... that will change when the other new systems come out... As for the "hahahahhaha" not sure why... PS2 as I said isn't new... you aren't making an accurate comparison.... when PS2 was released it did sell out... PS2s were going for $1000 online... As for XBox 360.... I could buy one whenever I wanted up here.. perhaps there was a delay because you're in Oklahoma and they couldn't get adequate supply to the middle of no where.. There is nothing pending in our arguments.... As I read this I can tell you're a little kid trying to sound intelligent... and nothing more.

As for the nintendo.. they don't have a chance, you were seriously hanging on a limb for that one. I could name 20 people that have BOTH an Xbox/Xbox360 AND a PS2 before a name a single one that has a nintendo.
    Nintendo is still going strong... don't you worry... as I said originally Nintendo isn't targetting punk teenagers who think they know everything.. so you wouldn't see it... but I can assure you that it is doing well..

Not to disrespect, but you ARE in Canada. It's a completley different market up there, so I don't know how it works, but here, where most of the money in this world is spent/made, lately, M$ is ruling.
    MS has been losing it's grasp on a lot of things as I said.. slowly.. but they are... more companies are going to Linux on the Desktop... to Linux servers... Microsoft will always reign surpreme but with more people buying Macs for their homes... and more companies looking at Linux/Unix.. a dent is being made... As fro Canada being a completely different market... have you ever been here??? They are extremely similar markets... with very little difference... Also.. people call me an arrogant Canadian... well at least I don't have the balls to think that most of the worlds money is spent and made in the US.... just another example of the little kid that you are.

As for how it will do with its handheld MP3 players, i'd have to put my money on history, and that history is based on the richest corporation in the entire world, and that corporation can go to hell for all im concerned, but that same corporation, when it dives into things, it sticks with it, and makes money. It invents and steals ideas at the same time, but it ends up making money.
    It sticks with it eh??? Windows ME anyone??? How about MS Bob?? Like I said.. they lost 1 Billion dollars on the X Box.. their R&D Labs have lost billions of dollars in the past years.... Bill Gates isn't only leaving Microsoft because of the Charity... he's leaving because they are slowly digging a hole that their share holders aren't happy with... they may still have lots of money but you can't just keep throwing away billions and billions of dollars... They have people to answer to... Microsoft has had their share of flops... they always will.. and not all of their products reign surpreme... and like I said.. until 2005 the Xbox didn't make money...

Yet again, look at Windows success versus any other piece of software ever pounded into a compiler. Look at the current Xbox 360/XBOX Live sales. And most of all, look at M$'s ability to improvise and capitalise, as that is what they do best, and history tells that they always come out on top.
    Windows succcess??? The product usage is dropping.. that's not success.. The XBox 360 is new.... you want to talk about fads.. that'x exactly whta XBox 360 is... every kid wants one now.. but give it a year and it'll be "big deal.. .who cares"... and they don't always come out on top.... I dunno if you're trying to get a job with Microsoft but you've got your lips so far up their ass that I bet you taste what they eat before it's digested..

Apple stands no chance whether they make iPods or underwear. If M$ gets serious about dominating that market? hahaha. no chance.
    Once again, you're doing nothing but demonstrating you're a little kid... You're an Anti-Apple Zealot and that's obvious... It's just a shame.. you have some intelligence.. but you have a head filled with idiotic ideas..

Peace,
    HT

main thesis of the argument had to do with AO. not had time to argue yet, but looks like you all's "supermod" didn't care or didn't have time to respond to that, indeed it was his own argument to begin with. But oh well HT, looks like i can't hang with the "big boys" eh? Could have banned your ass in a neg or two back in the day, but you're a hardass now here so i can't say **** right? hahaha. God you're so cool. Ignore ****, act like it wasn't said, i'll answer in the morning.