Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Server is trying to log into itself

Sorry I guess I didnt make this very clear, I did change the domain, got all kind of errors that I couldnt get myself out of, reformated the drive and finnaly reinstalled sbs from scratch. Since that point (beguining of my second install), we had some problems with exchange that we though we had fixed but apperently havent.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

AOs Resident Troll
    OK....

Then post your exchange errors....

I maybe able to help.

It is worth the 245.00 call to MS.....they will work with you til the issue is resolved....and if it is a coding error or bug...the call is free...

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Ok, currently the only errors I am getting is the eccessive invalid logins wich stop when I stop the exchange services mentioned earlier.

When we were working on getting exchange working, we had the following errors in the Performance Report:

Source Event ID Last Occurrence Total Occurrences
    MSExchangeSRS 1002 6/24/2006 11:25 AM 1
    The Microsoft Exchange Site Replication Service database (EDB) could not be initialized and returned error 1. Unrecoverable error, the Site Replication service can't continue. For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

MSExchangeAL 8026 6/24/2006 10:49 AM 6 *
    LDAP Bind was unsuccessful on directory PacificFish-SBS.PacificFish.local for distinguished name ''. Directory returned error:[0x51] Server Down. For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

MSExchangeAL 8250 6/24/2006 10:49 AM 2 *
    The Win32 API call 'DsGetDCNameW' returned error code [0x862] The specified component could not be found in the configuration information. The service could not be initialized. Make sure that the operating system was installed properly. For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

MSExchangeDSAccess 2102 6/24/2006 10:49 AM 2 *
    Process MAD.EXE (PID=2400). All Domain Controller Servers in use are not responding: PacificFish-SBS.PacificFish.local For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

MSExchangeDSAccess 2104 6/24/2006 10:49 AM 2 *
    Process INETINFO.EXE (PID=1992). All the DS Servers in domain are not responding. For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

I dont understand how this resolved the errors but our other admin said he created a public mailbox, accessed it, then removed it.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don’t.

AOs Resident Troll
    So the exchange server is working now???

These errors happen when you startup and shutdown the server...then stop??

MLF

We arnt getting any errors right now from the exchange server (yes its working), we are getting the logon errors in the security event log (error 529) as stated earlier.

When I turn off the exchange services mentioned earlier (m$ Exchange Manager, MTA Stacks, Routing Engine, and System Attendant), the security log errors stop.

So this is what is telling me that it is exchange that is causing the problems.

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by morganlefay
    Sorry mr dice...but if you did that with a SBS....I think you would make it unrepairable...

The SBS has many services...and it wouldnt like that very much

there is no way to change a sbs name or domain.....

Do not do this unless you are willing to do a full reinstall
    Ah.. Didn't know that.. Never used SBS..

The login error (first post) does point to a non-existant or expired computer domain account though.. Perhaps just adding the computer account to the domain might resolve it?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Just a suggestion.

Turn off services 1 at a time & then check the logs.

When the errors in the logs stop, the last service you switched off was responsible.

You should then be able to research that service to try and fix the problem.

Steve
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

AOs Resident Troll
    Excellent suggestion Steve

This should show you what service aredependant...

also those exchange errors are normal on an SBS during shutdown and startup...its the way and order services startup...and exchange is starting up faster then its dependant services....the errors will usually stop once all services have strated up....I misunderstood...I thought your exchange server wasnt working either

MLF

Those 4 services produce an invalid login attempt every 2 minutes, I have shut them down independently, and each one seems to be attached to a different logon attempt.

It’s not like I am getting the errors when I shutdown and start up, it’s a continuous logon cycle.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    You know what you can try is to change the password back to what it was.....and see if that clears the errors??...
    This won't work. Whenever you change a PW on a win32 host, even if it's the same, the SID changes and thus, you're fooked. Exchange looks at SIDs.

Promoting exchange into the domain requires specific steps in specific order. The link provoded by morganfly will assist you.

If the event viewer logs are not helpful enough, perhaps looking at the processes with strace or other process exploration tools? Typically this is what I do when event viewer logs are less than helpful.

The two minute interval is key here. Using that info, you can narrow down what service does this attempt every 120 seconds.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden