Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Myspace site crashes browser

Myspace site crashes browser

I went to the Myspace page that paperghost talks about on his blog posting at Vitalsecurity.org (http://www.vitalsecurity.org/2006/07...n-myspace.html) and it starts loading then Mozilla gives a illegal operation and crashes - anyone else have this problem? The Myspace site is here (BE CAREFULL AS IT MAY BE MALICIOUS) (added spaces for safety sakes for the newbs)

h t tp:// www. myspace.com/myspacegraphichelp

I pulled down with WGET the site html and all the graphics files it points to. McAfee and couple other AV scans come up with nothing and so did a alternate data stream scan as well.
    I'm running Mozilla version 1.7.13 with Active-X and JAVA turned OFF. I'm not all that worried about my machine as I was running Mozilla inside a sandbox but I'm just curious what its doing.

Any thoughts? Puzzled.

One of my users came to me with the same issue today. His buddy's MySpace site crashes Firefox but is OK in IE. You're not alone...

edit -- page looks OK in Opera 8.54

edit #2 -- surfing around myspace from that page did end up crashing Opera. Rebooted to Ubuntu, so far, so good w/ Firefox on this OS.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Thanks bc. Yeah, it works fine in IE for me too.

I guess I just got freaked out because I JUST read about some folks finding images with exploits in them on some websites....dont have a reference link to this but will hunt around where I saw that.

I never checked it with IE (my user did though). I wouldn't go surfin' some of these sites with IE to save my life...

I some times use a local library to do some surfing for mics. reasons. The network admin is really... busy i guess because from the looks of the machines, they were setup a few years ago and never updated. Some times the IE browser crashes when i look at certain myspace pages. I suspect it's all that java script. It has the same problem on a few other javascript loaded pages. I normally get a flash of most of the page so i try to hit 'stop' and catch the buttons i need to nav.
    *Those who trade freedom for security deserve neither *

Hmmmm,

I used Firefox and couldn't replicate the problem.

I have just updated all my Java though, because I was messing with something else............ might that be the answer?

hmmm it's seems that they are using a similar exploit that was crashing the opera browser a few weeks back..

very very sneaky indeed..

I suspect it's all that java script. It has the same problem on a few other javascript loaded pages.
    Come to think of it, this site locks up Firefox on an old PII I still run, and I suspect it's all that java script coded in here.

Originally posted here by .:front2back:.
    hmmm it's seems that they are using a similar exploit that was crashing the opera browser a few weeks back..
    f2b: Did you figure out what the code is doing that?

bc: Yeah, I never use IE to surf unknown sites - Mozilla with JAVA and scripting off AND inside of SandboxIE and throw the sandbox away at end of surfing session.

Blast From the Past
    killed camino afew times.
    mozilla 'safari' like browser for osx

when i made my myspace i used a code generator to make my layout. i wonder if some of these generators are spitting out sub-par code and is causing the problem.
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger