Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Id10Ts and the €conomic$ of $ecurity

I think sometime down the road... maybe a couple years... apple will go the 'microsoft route' and just start licensing the Mac OS, seeing as how it can now run on PC's and that's all a mac really is now...
    Apple did that once before, back in the 90's. Knew an outfit that was using the Umax clones and they were none too happy. The clones had some definite quality issues. I don't see Apple going the licensing route again.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

AFLAAACKKK!!
    However, this thread is not about "my Apple is better than your PC" it is about whether someone who has already invested a substantial sum in PC equipment and software should be advised to scrap it, and to go and buy the MacIntosh operating system, with a whole new set of applications software.
    True, but I just found that I can get a dual core dell PC for less money then a core solo mac mini ... (that's right HT, YOU didn't have your pricing right )

ncidentally I certainly wouldn't buy a Dell
    Me neither, I was just using them as an example...

If anyone is going to topple Microsoft, it will NOT be Apple. Linux is a far more attractive proposition, as it is not hardware supplier dependent. If OS X or what its then equivalent gets onto the open market, that will be the death of Apple Computers, as their hardware sales will totally collapse, and their antiquated business model requires that revenue.
    OS X is already capable of being on the open market, that's why I'm saying I think Mac will eventually go the microsoft route and start licensing their OS... Mac's move toward Intel was a double edged sword... Yes mac's can now run both windows and mac os X and their applications, but now there's very little keeping Mac OS X off PC's... There are already hacked x86 versions of Mac OS X and from what the reports read, it was EXTREMELY easy to hack and bring it to the PC...

Check this out for more information:
    http://www.osx86project.org/
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

I doubt if there would be enough in the licenced software to sustain Apple. Their current business is very much a hardware and software deal.

Just wait until the Chinese start dumping really cheap PCs into the Western Market, and Microsoft make their announced entrance into the "iPod" and music business.

My Motto:

If it works, upgrade/replace at my own pace. Let me judge my things.

AMC here are as cheap as: $ 24 per year..yeah rite per year and we dont have the per hour concept.

The concept of business here is different. but these thoughts belong to another section..

That way, even explosives are cheaper here...reference to recent mumbai blasts. No joke intended.

amen