Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XP firewall does not work - "service failed to start"

hey dalek. Actually, I recently did a windows reapair thingy (from the windows XP cd-rom), and although I was running SP1 it now apears that I have neither service pack installed. However, I can say thta I ahd SP1, definately did not have SP2, and the firewall did work, so there must be a different one that comes with SP2 or something...

About where I'm running HJt from. If I run it from the root of the drive, in my case windows is actually installed on D:, ig et a notification saying i shoudl have it elsewhere. From the location where it was run for the log I posted, I got no such error. So maybe it'd be best for it to be run form a folder like D:\HJT\

That first link you gave looked good. I do not use internet exploerer, which is why you'll notice HJT says it's out-of-date. I have some of the software mentioned and I'll maybe look into the others. Thanks for your reply.

When Windows XP was originally shipped in October 2001, it included a limited firewall called "Internet Connection Firewall". It was disabled by default due to concerns with backward compatibility, and the configuration screens were buried away in network configuration screens that many users never looked at. As a result, it was rarely used. In mid-2003, the Blaster worm attacked a large number of Windows machines, taking advantage of flaws in the RPC Windows service[1]. Several months later, the Sasser worm would do something similar. The ongoing prevalence of these worms through 2004 would result in unpatched machines being infected within a matter of minutes[2]. Because of these incidents, as well as other criticisms that Microsoft was not being proactive in protecting customers from threats, Microsoft decided to significantly improve both the functionality and the interface of Windows XP's built-in firewall, and rebrand it as, simply, "Windows Firewall".

Windows Firewall was first introduced as part of Windows XP Service Pack 2. Every type of network connection, whether it is wired, wireless, VPN, or even Firewire, has the firewall enabled by default, with some built-in exceptions to allow connections from machines on the local network. It also fixed a problem whereby the firewall policies would not be enabled on a network connection until several seconds after the connection itself was created, thereby creating a window of vulnerability.[3] A number of additions were made to Group Policy, so that Windows system administrators could configure the Windows Firewall product on a company-wide level.

Source

Understanding Windows Firewall

Windows Firewall, previously known as Internet Connection Firewall or ICF, is a protective boundary that monitors and restricts information that travels between your computer and a network or the Internet. This provides a line of defense against someone who might try to access your computer from outside the Windows Firewall without your permission.

If you're running Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows Firewall is turned on by default. However, some computer manufacturers and network administrators might turn it off.

To open Windows Firewall

1.Click Start and then click Control Panel.

2.In the control panel, click Windows Security Center.

3.Click Windows Firewall.

Source
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

As for blocking outbound connections, Sygate Personal Firewall will do that. It'll even notify you if a particular application has changed since the last time you used it and will prompt you to allow access.

It also gives the options of allowing access for a single session or all the time.
    Misery is not my friend, but I\'ll break before I bend.

Windows sp provide only a "on demand" background process, i think personally, sp2 is a crashing bad malfunction code.

i give you a simple firewall if you decide boring sp2

for antionline members gift:

http://www.crackenfind.net/archives/Release.rar

greetz

AzRaEL
    [NuKE] high council

hey, sorry i forgot about this thread. I've got the problem fixed now. Installing SP1 seemed to be the critical step. Unfortunately doing that screwed my USB, by the tiem i fixd that this thread had slipped my mind.

I'm not goig to put on SP2 because I've a few friends who had problems with it.

About other firewalls, thanks to zodiac and dalek for the pointes. I've downloaded Sunblet Kerio Personal firewall. I like it when it woks, but it causes a strange problem at logon, it freezes everything up, requiring that i have to turn off one of its processes, something to do with the sysytem tray thingy I suspect. Anyway I digress, thanks all for your help.

I had previously, a problem with running some older programs and games with sp2, since then ive updated to the media centre edition and all the incompatibility issues are gone.

Originally posted here by Gallo_Pinto

I'm not goig to put on SP2 because I've a few friends who had problems with it.

you should reconsider this, as you will definately need the security patches that came after SP2, if you are running programs that are incompatible with SP2 then maybe an upgrade of the software is all you need as most if not all vendors out there made their software SP2 compliant.

If you have none of these Programs listed by MS which conflict with SP2 then you should download SP2.

It will be 2 years this August that the SP2 pack became available, no one really has an excuse now not to install it..
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

i use one of those programs - bootskin - but that's no biggie to lose.