What are they thinking?

Thread: What are they thinking?

What are they thinking?

I just read on yahoo where ms is offering a chance to keep the 98 and me. on board longer.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20060715/tc_cmp/190400390

I just wander what this is going to cost consumers.
    Share on Google+

Super Moderator
    Know-it-All Master Beaver

Did you read the article??? At all... did you see 98 and support in the same sentence and make an assumption?

It says in the first paragraph.. hell... the first sentence that Windows 98 support is discontinued...

MS Has relased a NEW OS... that turns PCs into thin clients with very basic software side support (Security and Document viewers essentially)...

This is for businesses that don't want to do complete upgrades to their end user PCs.. now they buy a few terminal servers and install Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs..

It's a great business move for Microsoft (the work that would have went into creating this would be quite minor) and it's excellent for businesses that were fearing upgrades..

It also requires an SA Volume Licensing program membership... again demonstrating that it's targetting only Businesses...

*shakes his head* Never thought I'd have to interpret a 5 paragraph article written in basic english...

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".
    Share on Google+

Super Moderator: GMT Zone nihil's Avatar
    HTRegz , it probably does need a little explanation for those who are not too familiar with corporate finance or even global macro economics?

As you point out, this is a corporate solution that effectively turns these obsolete devices into viable thin clients which are basically "dumb terminals" once connected to their applications server.

There seems to be a positive security angle in that they say that it will introduce some of the commercial (NTFS) systems' security. I must admit that was something that always worried me when you had mixed OS environments (mainly because NT 4.0 did not support power saving for laptops).

I believe that this is aimed at Third World countries where the local economics do not permit wholesale replacement of hardware. Even if the software is pirated, it still won't run on obsolete kit.

It also gives Microsoft a chance to squeeze the last few drops of juice from the orange And, being as how it is a corporate bulk licence, it is very easily controlled from a DRM viewpoint............ You will only get it if you have properly licenced software, and I am sure that they will be able to trace any "leaks". Anyway, as you need an application server, that kind of removes any "street value" so to speak.

It was a neat business move, as no sizable customers in wealthy countries are still running those OSes in a mainstream deployment, anyway
    If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
    As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
    What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?
    Share on Google+

Super Moderator
    Know-it-All Master Beaver

Hey Hey,

I agree with almost all of that... except for

I believe that this is aimed at Third World countries where the local economics do not permit wholesale replacement of hardware. Even if the software is pirated, it still won't run on obsolete kit.
    There are many big businesses running machines that won't handle XP.. I see them in banks, stores, insurance companies.. every time I go in to do business with someone I get worried when Isee these screens.. Hell when I was in a CIBC (Canadian Bank) I saw the NT 4 logo bouncing around with an error message on top of it...

I also don't agree with the money making aspect... Generally a lot of people that have an SA of some sort have full MSDN meaning they won't pay any extra for this...

Regardless I think it's a great idea... keep the businesses with old hardware fairly up-to-date software wise even when they're too cheap to upgrade.
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".
    Share on Google+

Thanks to both of you for the explinations. I realized this morning when i woke up what I had written. So much for looking intelligent today. I was thinking no where near corporate. I work on residential aDSL everyday and I see more 98 and ME pcs than anything else. On the occasions where I do get businesses I never get past the modems because they normally have someone like you gentlemen to take care of that. But thanks again for the explinations it made things clearer for me. And yes ht I read the article. Like I said, it just didn't sink in til this morning. Last night I had a different comprehension.
    Share on Google+

Originally posted here by HTRegz
    There are many big businesses running machines that won't handle XP.. I see them in banks, stores, insurance companies.. every time I go in to do business with someone I get worried when Isee these screens.. Hell when I was in a CIBC (Canadian Bank) I saw the NT 4 logo bouncing around with an error message on top of it...
    Why is that worrying? Surely you could assume that it's only those boxes, at the very front end that are running NT and that as all they do is interface with a bigger box behind the scenes and don't have any Internet access, updating them is far from a priority.
    \"Some say they go looking for Drugs, Dirty Dancing and Pounding, Pounding Techno Music.\"
    *ahem* contact me
    Share on Google+

Super Moderator: GMT Zone nihil's Avatar
    Hey, HT~ you certainly surprised me there:

There are many big businesses running machines that won't handle XP..
    Yes, I see that.............. beancounters holding the purse strings is the usual cause. However, I don't know of anyone still running NT 4.0 around here (apart from me, of course, but that is part of my "museum project", so it is quite deliberate).

Sure we have plenty of Windows 2000 sites, but that is not yet unsupported.

I probably haven't mentioned this before, but one of the reasons for our apparently strange behaviour is our corporate taxation laws, which have not been updated to embrace new technology.

On the domestic front, I see more or less the same as Boogymantroy. If you sell things like domestic appliances or automobiles then people will expect them to last as long. For example, a typical extended warranty over here is 4 years.
    If you cannot do someone any good: don't do them any harm....
    As long as you did this to one of these, the least of my little ones............you did it unto Me.
    What profiteth a man if he gains the entire World at the expense of his immortal soul?
    Share on Google+