symantec crashes windows - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: symantec crashes windows

yeah i found out the hardway... i thought there was some fault in my hardware and a few sessions with HP (useless support group) they screw around my system and i need to reformat it 5 times so later i decided not to install MS drivers and it was fixed ahha

Originally posted here by whatever878787
    ATI driver up to date
    Ran AVG but it says that it cannot open C drive.. uninstalled reinstalled still the same (and i reboot everytime i uninstall/install AVG)

i tried event viewer but it doesnt say whats the problem... all i can see is it the startup event no shutdown or error event there
    Honestly, I am not even sure this sounds like a software problem to me... it very well be a hardware problem, IE: a failing Hard Drive or power supply.

I would check the most basic things first, such as using a volt meter on your power supply and make sure it is getting proper voltage.

Next step would be to verify that your Hard Drive is not dying a slow and painful death.

Running Memtest couldn't hurt either.
    \"Computer games don\'t affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we\'d all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.\" Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc. 1989

vaneck... thanks for the advice... the 'box' that i m using now is a laptop... is there a way to test the powersupply? and how can i see if the hdd is dying?

going to run memtest when i get back

Hmmm,

I don't think that your problem is/was hardware related, as that message is generally associated with firmware (driver) problems.

There are two basic ways of testing the power supply.

1. Physically testing the outputs with a multimeter.
    2. Using some sort of "PC Health" type software that monitors inputs to the MoBo.

To check your HDD go to the manufacturer's site and download their diagnostic software.