I won't even bother trying to butter this up; I've only just made my first account here, and I quite honestly don't comprehend 90% of what is said in these forums yet. I've always been quite interested in networking and network security above pretty much everything else, and I've come to see what I can learn about it in this forum. Some of what all of you are saying makes sense to me, and some of it doesn't. I'm not asking for anybody to just show me how to do this, either, and I'm not here to learn "Hollywood style hacking", anyone with a brain cell can tell that stuff is total BS.

With that being said, I am looking for a few pointers on how to get started. Not telling me, not lecturing me, not in any way making it easy. (As easy as this can get.) In essence, I just want to know where I can get started, and work my own way up from there. I've got a fair amount of knowledge about computers in general, as well a pretty vast knowledge of HTML and CSS, plus a few self taught bits of C++, although my knowledge is limited.

Any help or comments, positive or negative, are welcome.

Edit: Just realised people can't reply to topics in here, oh well, nevermind.