Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Identity Theft. Wonderful.

I've filed several police reports in my life. What a hassle. Don't look for much satisfaction. It's more of a formality than anything.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Have any of you ever filed a police report? What was your experience?
    uh, yes, and no comment.

First off, I want to commend publically ShagDevil for his first post in this thread. It was good advice, and accurate.

Then Egaladeist followed up with some really good additional information, though I was confused by the use of us in
    Filing a complaint also helps us learn more about identity theft and the problems victims are having so that we can better assist you.
    I think one of the problems here is an understanding of what exactly has been "stolen"

This may not comfort you, but:

As I understand it, your identity has not been stolen, but rather your SS number was used by another to obtain services that they may not otherwise have been entitled too? But it could have been a clerical error by someone? FAT FINGERS have been the cause of much consumer frustration.

You are going to have to check with laws for your state to ascertain if the SS number by itself falls under any identity theft statutes. If not, then your only other recourse for possible criminal prosecution may be through some of the links that Egaladeist provided. ( prosecution of which is doubtful as the statute of limitations has probably run out. )

In any case, it does not mean the local authorities can not take a report, it just means that you have to understand that they have no place to go with it. But providing them with little information other then a he said / she said scenario is useless to even you. Written documentation from company A and company B concerning the incident would provide them with something that you could use.

Remember, in most places it is a criminal offense to falsify information to police authorities and additional criminal offenses usually exist to supply or provide ( the term here is utter ) false documents, and yet another to create ( the term here is forgery ) said false documents which you supplied the police. So by providing the police with some type of documentation ( in other words, not hearsay ) entities like insurance companies or credit companies ( even cellular phone companies ) request police reports because they know they have an avenue to pursue if they discover your allegations to be false ( ie. jail time for you .... but in some circumstances, as insurance, civil penalties sometimes far outweigh criminal penalties!!!! )

But in many places, it is not a requirement to have a police report, they only say it is.

I hope I didn't confuse you with all that sh*t, but that is the way it is, and it is most times hard for the average person to understand unless they have been put through the grinder.

I know I am beating a dead horse here, but as I have said before, until all this came to light with identify theft within the past five years or so, many companies ( against federal law ) used the SS number as the end-all for identification. ( This is now changing, albeit slowly.)

I am not saying it will be easy for you to get this rectified, but with proper documentation and a little patience and perseverance on your part you should be able to.

By the way, to clarify the reporting agency stuff, I believe it is that the credit reporting agencies must provide you with a free report once a year, and if you have been the victim of identity theft, lock your credit free of charge, but you have to be able to prove you have in fact been a victim. If you want a report more often then that, or you want to lock your credit and have not been a victim ( or can not prove you have been a victim, ) you have to pay for their services.

I hope I have helped make it clearer.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

As I understand it, your identity has not been stolen, but rather your SS number was used by another to obtain services that they may not otherwise have been entitled too? But it could have been a clerical error by someone? FAT FINGERS have been the cause of much consumer frustration.
    Was used by two institutions, which means the client provided them both with the same number. Fat fingers at both institutions would be a slim coincidence.

On another note, (this isn't any solid evidence at all), but the apartment was rented in an area saturated with illegal immigrants. I don't like assumptions over certainties, but everyone I've told the address to has had that fact on the top of their minds.

I updated the blog again. And guess what, USAToday linked my Bob Kema series!

http://blogs.usatoday.com/techspace/...g_the_tab.html

Congrates on the USAToday linking ...

... an area saturated with illegal immigrants.
    Why does this not surprise me?
    In the two incidents, did the person use the same name in both? What I am getting at here is maybe this person bought a forged SS card on the street ( which just by chance had your number on it ) so they could obtain services like you speak of, and also appear to work legitimately in this country.

Did you check with the SS office in your area to see if the number is being used for employment anywhere under a different name? I don't know how much help they will be, but it might be worth a try.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes