With construction like this, who needs terrorists?

Thread: With construction like this, who needs terrorists?

With construction like this, who needs terrorists?

As one probe after another has been announced to get to the bottom of the construction flaws, it appears apparent the chain reaction collapse of four of the ceiling panels, triggered by the failure of a single ceiling bolt, is just the first sign of widespread shoddy and defective workmanship plaguing the vital new highway system.

An initial assessment by turnpike authorities that the ceiling panel collapse was an isolated problem in the tunnel quickly gave way to inspections that found 60 ceiling supports in danger of falling because of “compromised” bolts in the roof holding up the ceiling in the eastbound tunnel.
    http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dl...607160889/1116
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

rcgreen

I know that you like to write small because ink is expensive, so I shall send you a grain of rice.

What I would like you to do is write a list on it............ a list of all the major government and public service contractors who don't rip off their paymasters.

You will notice that the grain of rice is unmarked................that is because I have already written my list for this country!

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    This is one of those design and acceptance flaws.

Those ceiling panels are non structual they are there to hide the rough actual ceiling and all of the "plumbing" etc that is there.

Why on earth would you have "ceiling tiles" that weighed tons? We couldn't put up metal mesh, fiberglass or something lighter.

I mean would you use concrete ceiling tiles in your kitchen, bathroom or office?

A lot of people need to have their asses kicked on this one.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

What I would like you to do is write a list on it............ a list of all the major government and public service contractors who don't rip off their paymasters.
    i guess most figure turn about is fair play

personally i never cheat anyone, not even insurance companies...guess you could say im a chump.

the biggest way the government causes us to get ripped off is going by outdated standards

for instance the commission in charge of the hover dam (some valley river authority i can't remember right now) will order 100 stainless steel 1/4-20 heavy hex nuts. that sounds simple enough and should cost them about ten bucks....but noooooooo! they have to go by the standards set up by the engineers at the time the dam was built. they require certificates of compliance that they are 304 stainless. almost a special order these days. today the standard is 18-8 and its a better steel. The lab tests here add about 500 dollars to the cost. They also require mill test reports. this means a sample from the crucible must be taken before it's poured and analyzed and tracked up to the time the manufacturing is completed...add another 2 grand.

so this means the average person can go and buy this item in the same quantity for around ten dollars and have a better quality product while the government spends about three thousand dollars for an inferior product.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Traffic sucks right now....and they're gonna close the tunnel for a few months ....slow commute to work is going to get even slower....Grrr!!!!

I remember one of the things that stood out when we were down in Dade County Florida for the Hurricane Andrew cleanup the astonishing amount of negligence by building contractors who took shortcuts when building houses to code, and they are not the only ones to blame as the city or any municipality have building inspectors on their staff, so these should have been caught.

I am sure the same will come out of Hurricane Katrina, the problem is the insurance companies use this information to squiggle out of obligations, house owners get screwed over twice...

As for the Federal Governemnt and overspending...Lol...I have seen first hand the excessive spending on parts, or the end result of not upgrading when we had the chance, for year's the Army in Canada used the old deuce and a halfs for their main truck transport, even though everyone else upgraded to newer and more suitable equipment, eventually spares for these trucks stopped being made, consequently when a part was needed it had to be machined at great cost, the same holds true today for our aging Seaking Helicopters..procurement in the military for any country is a bloated quagmire of too many channels and obstacles.

I blame it on the old boy network, over time Generals and Admirals just prior to retirement are recruited by manufacturer's who would like to sell their product to the Military (guaranteed money) so these guy's get a new title (pitchmen) and with their considerable contacts throughout the Military and Government,it becomes an easy sell, unfortunately it's no wonder the rank and file get helmets without the proper liner's, I mean when was the last time a General or Admiral wore one for themselves...
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Why on earth would you have "ceiling tiles" that weighed tons?
    because it's a structural part of the tunnel
    you do NOT call the ceiling the 'hanging wall' for nothing

should / when the surrounding terrain shifts, the roof 'tiles' will / will be able to take the strain, and allow the tunnel to function .........

if it were made of fibre glass
    you would just add glass fibre to the debris when the hanging wall drops
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Hmmm,

should / when the surrounding terrain shifts, the roof 'tiles' will / will be able to take the strain, and allow the tunnel to function .........
    Makes me wonder why they would use epoxy glue in such an environment? It is not the most flexible of substances in my experience.