Thread: Video Surveillance System (Question)

Video Surveillance System (Question)

I could use anyone's experience or opinions on this one. My condo complex is looking into purchasing an inexpensive video security suite to monitor the front gate of the complex.
    From time to time we get people who "Brute Force" their way through the gate with their car.... breaking the gate. Of course, the cost of repair inevitably comes out of our pockets to repair/replace it. We are looking for something that can accomplish the following:

Has some sort of low false-positive motion detector such as a laser trip wire. If a car, bike, person, dog, hooligan....etc breaks the path of the beam, it flips the video on for (X) amount of seconds. A regular motion detector wouldn't be suitable for outdoor use and would most likely would be set off by everything.... including blowing leaves.

Once the video is triggered, it could take low-medium resolution video or snapshots which could be stored on a hard drivedrive somewhere.

I suppose the only hardware that would need to be purchased would be the one or two video cameras (preferably night vision/low light enabled), whatever software would need to be loaded and something that would act as the "tripwire".

Saw a great tutorial here in AO called "Motion Detection With a Web Cam" from 2003 Article Here

Also saw a thread here called 'Security Cameras' also from 2003 Article Here which had some good info.

I've searched google and found a couple packages... most seem kind of cheesy.... like
    something you might find while watching the Home Shopping Network at 3am after 15 beers.

Any input or related experience on this is greatly appreciated!

-E
    %42%75%75%75%75%72%70%21%00

I've installed (and maintain) several camera systems. Samsung makes some affordable color monitor/camera packages ($800 at Sam's). The monitor's nice (linux-based!) and has an ethernet plug, but the cameras have problems handling bright light, which tends to blind them. And by bright light, I mean sunlight. The cameras do have motion-detection capabilities though. I'll have to look up the model numbers for you though, I'm in the field right now.

Sony makes some really, really nice IP cameras, but they go as high as $1500 (see Froogle for the best deals). The resolution is outstanding and I have no doubt they'd pick up license plate numbers and whatever else.

GE also makes some nice camera systems, but I know those get pricey.

Webcams tend to have lousy resolution in my experience and are unstatisfactory for most security work. You're going to want decent resolution to catch perps.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

I think Motion does what you need. It has the ability to set masks to take out the road from detection areas and an adjustable sensitivity level. I have never used it outside, but I believe that it should work well. It works fine for my room with a window overlooking a major road and lots of loose paper. Give it a try, it might work for you it might not. If not, the software is free so you lose nothing.
    If everything looks perfect, then there is something you don\'t know

Will definitely look into those... these cameras will be outdoors and positioned in a conspicuous place up on a poll behind cars that are entering. As for resolution, once triggered, the camera will film the car entering as well as its license plate. Just need it to be clear enough to read the plate.

The Samsung units I've installed are SSC-21's. It's a monitor/4-camera package.

Also, check out this Toshiba offering:

http://www.2mcctv.com/product_info-S...baIKWB11A.html

Might be right up your alley.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Might I make a very cynical suggestion?

You will need a HIGH RESOLUTION camera to get a conviction. The cops know this, so unless you have one they will not be interested.

All you will do is spend money to increase your frustration.

why not reinforce the gates so that if anyone brute forces throught them with a car they will do more damage to their car than the gates. I know that is not what you asked but as Nihil said if the camera definition isn't high enought it won't be worth anything when it comes to try to make them pay.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Muracu suggestion is probably the best. A couple of heavy concrete bollards would do it. It wouldn't be enough just to damage the car. It's probably stolen.

You guys crack me up... whilst I would attend to agree with you on reinforcing the gates to damage the A-holes cars, that would require a complete revamping of the whole gate system. Right now its just one of those basic jobs where its an arm of sorts that just raises and lowers. Nothing fancy.

I did a quick search and found a "high-resolution" MPEG4 wireless camera thats IP capable.

See http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bi... target=_blank

I don't know about triggering it automatically, although it mentions "Built-in I/O Ports to Trigger Alarm and E-mail Notification "

It's a little over $370.
    Misery is not my friend, but I\'ll break before I bend.