Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalker (using proxies) following me around at an Internet forum

Stalker (using proxies) following me around at an Internet forum

Hi everybody,
    I have a question regarding a stalker who has been following me around at an online forum. That person is literally observing my forum activity and follows me around every where I go with 30+ accounts - no joke -. I can tell it's him due to the fact that he gives out all those poorly disguised hints when replying to my post but he also starts tons of threads under various nicknames all over these boards, for me to see. So it's kind of difficult to ignore him, I tried that for a while but then he just posts under a newly created nick.

You see there is no way to not read his post and I've to add that this person is not sane and can't work because of this. I regret making acquaintance with him but I couldn't have known this before.
    The extrems to which this person goes is quite uncanny, it's a classic stalker craze scenario. That person fell in love with me and is now mad over the fact that I don't share the same feelings for him. That person is FURIOUS, I'm talking about "Fatal Attraction" sort of craziness.

However, he won't get banned because he doesn't post anything offensive, just those litte annoying and harrassing personal hints that he constantly posts after me.

Changing my nick is not an option because as I mentioned before he kind of dedicated his life to me and observes those forums and sooner or later he'll track me down me down, just from noticing my mannerisms in word and speech. I know this sounds beyond crazy but I kid you not that person is always online day and night and probably just sleeps 3 or 4 hours at most...this is going on for almost two weeks now.

The main problem is that he is using proxies for all those accounts, I know this for certain because I messaged some of the moderators of that forum and they reassured me that some of the accounts I mentioned to them are using proxies and they promised that they will keep an eye on one or two of them but they can't promise anything.

What to do about this? I don't really want to leave the forums because of this bullshit, isn't there a way to trace forum members who are use proxies?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have a gun? I'd say go over to his house and cap him.
    It's better to be tried by twelve than buried by six.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

In short.... no. and what good would tracing his ip through a proxy do you anyway? Honestly not much at all.getting the log files with the help of law inforcement would be difficult at best if not impossable, without the help of law enforcement, damn near impossible. Firstly, do a full system scan with an updated antivirus. If he has planted any type of trojan, hopefully it will be found. Second, If your not going to change your nick in what ever forum this is occuring on, mabey you should consider dropping out of that forum for a while. Chances are this person will get bored and go away. Lastly, add them to your ignore list if the forum has that feature, most do. Mainly because any communication from you to them or about them is only going to encourage their activity. Trust me on that one.

<evil grin>You could always set up a second username and return the favor, drive them crazy by stalking them </evil grin> <<<--- Im joking of course.

BANNED
    Get a life and just leave the forum. FInd another forum to go to. For every forum you go to I'm sure you can find 10 more with the same content and the same type of people on it. If someone is aggravating you that much on an internet forum and you are letting them, then you're just as screwed up as this guy.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Blast From the Past
    Originally posted here by muert0
    Get a life and just leave the forum. FInd another forum to go to. For every forum you go to I'm sure you can find 10 more with the same content and the same type of people on it. If someone is aggravating you that much on an internet forum and you are letting them, then you're just as screwed up as this guy.

why dont you leave muert0
    (i mean that jokingly)
    maybe she doesnt want to leave because of the friends she has at the forum
    i have left AO many times but keep comming back because of the people here that i know
    if you have been on a forum for awhile you build seniority *AO senior members cough*
    so it might not be that easy to just pick up and go

BUT yes if he continues tracking you i would reccomend leaving aswell. though it may be hard.

and this would be a good time to make sure your firewall is updated and online, along with antivirus. it can be hard to tell how smart someone is with computers and the risk is always there for further digital stalking
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

It's difficult to trace a user via proxies. Even law enforcement has limited capabilities, especially with anonymous proxies overseas.

Might not be a bad idea to give the forum a rest for awhile.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Set up a new ID and lurk. Leave a message from the old ID that this is what you are doing and you are ignoring him... It'll drive him nucking futs to know that you are there, ignoring him and he can't ID you. If he tries guessing do not respond even if he gets it right... Do not respond to anything he sends to the old ID.

It's called a mind game... and you get to stay at your forum...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by spamdies
    In short.... no. and what good would tracing his ip through a proxy do you anyway?

Originally posted here by brokencrow
    It's difficult to trace a user via proxies. Even law enforcement has limited capabilities, especially with anonymous proxies overseas.

Might not be a bad idea to give the forum a rest for awhile.
    thanks for the reply,
    by tracing I meant that figuring out that he is using a proxy would be enough to get him banned from that forum.

Originally posted here by spamdies Firstly, do a full system scan with an updated antivirus. If he has planted any type of trojan, hopefully it will be found. "
    any virus scanner that you can recommend?

Originally posted here by spamdies Second, If your not going to change your nick in what ever forum this is occuring on, mabey you should consider dropping out of that forum for a while. Chances are this person will get bored and go away. Lastly, add them to your ignore list if the forum has that feature, most do. Mainly because any communication from you to them or about them is only going to encourage their activity. Trust me on that one.

<evil grin>You could always set up a second username and return the favor, drive them crazy by stalking them </evil grin> <<<--- Im joking of course.
    haha, unfortunately I have a life and I'm not insane enough to sit in front of my computer all day long but isn't there another possibility to **** with that person? I did put those nicks on my ignore list but as I said the extrems to which this person goes is totally cockoo, he always comes up with new ones and takes over the first two pages of a sub forum with various screen names. the moderators are clueless about this, or so it seems. It would be annoying to leave that forum altogether because of this.

Originally posted here by hexadecimal [B]why dont you leave muert0
    (i mean that jokingly)
    maybe she doesnt want to leave because of the friends she has at the forum
    i have left AO many times but keep comming back because of the people here that i know
    if you have been on a forum for awhile you build seniority *AO senior members cough*
    so it might not be that easy to just pick up and go
    indeed, I have been on that board for a long time now and have a lot of friends there.

Originally posted here by hexadecimal and this would be a good time to make sure your firewall is updated and online, along with antivirus. it can be hard to tell how smart someone is with computers and the risk is always there for further digital stalking
    that person isn't smart at all but he most likely is obsessivly asking other people, pressing them for all kind of computer related stuff. but yeah, what kind of antivirus programs and firewall should I use?

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    Set up a new ID and lurk. Leave a message from the old ID that this is what you are doing and you are ignoring him... It'll drive him nucking futs to know that you are there, ignoring him and he can't ID you. If he tries guessing do not respond even if he gets it right... Do not respond to anything he sends to the old ID.

It's called a mind game... and you get to stay at your forum...
    haha, yeah that would piss him off...what else could I do to annoy him?

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Don't even get me started... "Annoyance" is my middle name....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides