Random Stop Error
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random Stop Error

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar

Random Stop Error

Hi, tonight I decided to help my friend fix her wireless ( it kept dropping her) so I did two things. I walked her thru updating her linksys wireless card. she has a laptop. wireless G card. I also walked her thru changing the channel on her router from 6 to 11. But since they she has been getting BSOD and random stop errors. She says this has never happened before. Did she do something wrong? Did I tell her something wrong? Her Internet worked fine for a while directly after I gave her the fixes... she said better than it ever had. but it only worked for like an hour. suggestions please. I can think of rolling back her linksys driver to the old one. and scan disk. Anything else? Sorry I dont have her actual stop error but it was just the generic one I think. Could help lappy just be screwed up before I did anything or did my instructions cause this? Thanks for the help.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Banned

Are you sure that her wireless connection wasn't already pwned before the update's.? And now that it's been updated etc it's now causing the connection to be lost..?

maybe get her to do full system scans and see if that picks up anything that should not be there on the system..

maybe try reseting modem or what ever she uses and see if that helps.

just a few ideas.

Cheers
    AcidTone..

she is really bad about updates etc.. ( i.e. your typical home user) so she could be pwned for all I know. we are in a diff. state so i cant go over there. Im having her run a scan disk tonight. tomorrow i will get the results and im also gonna have her run an AV/spyware scan just for the hell of it. after all this I will post again. hopefully I can get the full stop error. The only other thing i can think of is roll back driver.
    she doesnt want reset the modem cuz she doesnt want to piss off her roomates so im trying to avoid that if possible
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Banned
    Originally posted here by The Texan
    she doesnt want reset the modem cuz she doesnt want to piss off her roomates so im trying to avoid that if possible

So she is sharing the internet connection with more then 1 computer. Could it be that she has updated her end, and the other computers are still running the old firmware that could be causing the issues.?

cheers
    acidtone..

so your saying that a windows stop error on her pc is being caused by her 2 roomates not updating their pc's.... idk bout that but i guess its possible.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Banned
    Originally posted here by The Texan
    so your saying that a windows stop error on her pc is being caused by her 2 roomates not updating their pc's.... idk bout that but i guess its possible.

Texan, It is possible, i've seen similar things happen when i've updated firmware on one box and not the others, and things mysteriously start fruiting up afterwards.
    So i've either rolled back to the original driver, or updated the others with the same driver and usually then it starts working itself out..

cheers
    acidtone..

Why dont you use the Remote Desktop feature and help her out directly?
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

Just a couple of questions:

1. Did her room-mates have any problems, and are they having any now?

2. Is there anything in the system logs?

I tried to do remote desktop with her once before but it didnt work out.
    I will walk her thru checking the sys logs today. I dont know if her roomates have had any issues. I will check that too. I guess my next step will to update her roomates pc's wireless cards. if that doesnt work I will roll back her driver I guess.

I did forget to add one important thing. I was unable to access her router home page. I tried admin/admin,admin/password and admin as the password. no dice anyway I changed her wireless card to channell 11 but I guess its possible that her router is still pulling channel 6. could that do it?

edit/ I checked her sys logs and all the errors im seeing from the time this started happening involve Norton Antivirus? weird?

her scan disk came back clean.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

edit/ I checked her sys logs and all the errors im seeing from the time this started happening involve Norton Antivirus? weird?
    Try installing AVG and turn off Norton. See if that makes a difference?